Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Michal Mocny <mm...@google.com> on 2015/04/10 16:38:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Github issue tracking?

Theres been some heated conversation recently about Apache rules and Github
interactions, yet it seems like we can get what we want after only a simple
ask!

If we chose to, we can move to github issue tracking, at the risk of making
migrations to another product more difficult down the road.  We would also
potentially lose the ASF JIRA integrations (though I think the equivalents
are already well supported directly by Github).

So, what do you think?

I don't think there is a clear-cut answer.  Github issues are well
understood by many users in our community, but are not nearly as featureful
as JIRA.  I think its a tradeoff, which may be better for external users
but worse for us.  I'm concerned about using GH issues for release tracking
type work, and unsure if we should wholly switch or just use both.

-Michal

Re: [DISCUSS] Github issue tracking?

Posted by Jesse MacFadyen <pu...@gmail.com>.
I think JIRA is fine. It is central, where our repos are scattered. A release task for example would touch many repos.
The only barrier I see with JIRA is account creation. If we were more responsive to incoming tickets we might see more community involvement. Andrew has probably been the best at this. It might be worthwhile having a WaitingForCordova issue state when tickets come in to make sure someone looks at every one early.
The wiki should just be part of docs, no extra account, or permissions, just modify and send a pull request like anything else.
It might also be worthwhile to get some more github team permissions. Being able to control some of our integration might be helpful, and we could do more ci ourselves.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 7:54 AM -0700, "Michal Mocny" <mm...@google.com> wrote:

Tony Homer brings up in another thread that:

1. Cordova JIRA is a good JIRA
2. Wiki is terrible, and we should move to Github wiki asap.

I agree with both points, but emphasize that replacing JIRA is less about
what's best for us committers and more about what's best for community.
Github issues unquestionably have more active and open dialog with end
users, because its just so easy for most people to use.  For committers, I
expect the migration will be a (1 time) pain in the butt.

The wiki change I'm all for, and may be a good experiment before attempting
to move over issue tracker.

-Michal

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@google.com>.

Posted by "Homer, Tony" <to...@intel.com>.
Just want to share the perspective of a newer member of the community on
this issue.
I do not feel that I¹ve had a bad experience with Cordova JIRA.
I¹ve used JIRA on other projects, including my main project at Intel, so
perhaps I am just comfortable with it.
(Note that we have had TERRIBLE performance problems with JIRA at Intel,
although a recent update seems to have resolved them)
It seems like it would be a shame to lose the integration that valuable
resources were invested in.
FWIW, I¹m okay with JIRA.

Tony