Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/01 10:17:52 UTC

Re: UIMA AS as OSGI bundle

On Mar 31, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Jaroslaw Cwiklik wrote:

> Jörn, not sure how I feel about this yet. What you are proposing is
> to add a
> list of dependent jars into the
> manifest.mf files found in the Uima AS jars. There may be a problem
> with
> this. ActiveMQ jars, for example,
> are named differently in each release.Some users (perhaps) may want to
> switch between say AMQ 5.2.2 and 4.1.1 and with a hard
> dependency in the manifest  there may be a runtime problem. How do you
> resolve such a problem?

In the OSGI manifest the Import-Package (or Required-Bundle) defines
on what the bundle
depends, dependencies are then resolved by the OSGI runtime.
In our case it should be fine to define a dependency on
activemq 4.1.1 or higher, right ?

Jörn

Re: UIMA AS as OSGI bundle

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Jörn Kottmann wrote:

> On Mar 31, 2009, at 9:47 PM, Jaroslaw Cwiklik wrote:
>
>> Jörn, not sure how I feel about this yet. What you are proposing is
>> to add a
>> list of dependent jars into the
>> manifest.mf files found in the Uima AS jars. There may be a problem with
>> this. ActiveMQ jars, for example,
>> are named differently in each release.Some users (perhaps) may want to
>> switch between say AMQ 5.2.2 and 4.1.1 and with a hard
>> dependency in the manifest  there may be a runtime problem. How do you
>> resolve such a problem?
>
> In the OSGI manifest the Import-Package (or Required-Bundle) defines
> on what the bundle
> depends, dependencies are then resolved by the OSGI runtime.
> In our case it should be fine to define a dependency on
> activemq 4.1.1 or higher, right ?
In an ideal world, that would be true :-) .  In earlier testing, we had
discovered that higher level components sometimes did and sometimes did
not play nicely with other levels (when talking to each other over the
network, for instance).

-Marshall