Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lewis Watson <li...@visionsix.com> on 2002/04/05 23:30:23 UTC

Web Hosting and Virtual Hosts

I am trying to decide the best way to set up this linux web server and would
like to see what others have done/ recommend on this. This machine will be
doing web hosting for multiple users and I have looked at su-exec so that
everyone will fire off scripts as themselves rather than 'nobody'. Or should
I run an instance of Apache for each web site?
The thing I am running into with suexec is that each user has a directory
under /home/www/username. Inside of each username directory each user has a
logs directory for access_log and error_log, cgi-bin for their scripts and
www for the web pages. Suexec is failing because we do not have the
public_html folder I suppose. How do I fix this to where suexec will work
with the scripts in the users cgi-bin folder ( note: the scripts work fine
except for the suexec feature). Then, I think maybe it would be better to
have multiple instances of Apache running, each with the user and group
assigned to an individual user. Whats the best way to go here? Thanks for
the help!

Lewis Watson