Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> on 2012/02/13 16:21:39 UTC

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

On 14/02/2012 00:14, Alex Harui wrote:
> My understanding is we should not check in swcs
>
> Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T
Quote from Apache licensing [1]:

   By including only the object/binary form, there is less exposed
surface area of the third-party
   work from which a work might be derived; this addresses the second
guiding principle of this
   policy. By attaching a prominent label to the distribution and
requiring an explicit action by the
   user to get the reciprocally-licensed source, users are less likely
to be unaware of restrictions
   significantly different from those of the Apache License; this
addresses the fourth guiding
   principle of this policy.

That does look a lot like we can include 3rd party libraries if their
licenses match. Like any other,
ordinary, As3 project. Flex could also use dependencies. Would that be
so much horror?

I understand that its not favorable but in contrary to core code: These
3rd party librarys would
only be included to run the framework but to run the tests.

yours
Martin.

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-b

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
There's enough build extension that will be able to pull together all
dependencies from
the maven repositories, I don't think this will be an issue.
Perhaps Yennick can shed some light on how this might be possible using
GradleFX?

--
regards,
Roland

--
Roland Zwaga
Senior Consultant | Stack & Heap BVBA

+32 (0)486 16 12 62 | roland@stackandheap.com | http://www.stackandheap.com

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Omar Gonzalez
<om...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 17, 2012, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>... BTW, in my opinion there's not much benefit in deciding for one test
>> framework or another until there are *actual tests in svn* that people
>> can use to make an opinion. Code speaks louder than words...

> Here's a link:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/whiteboard/s9tpepper/validators/src-tests/org/apache/flex/validators/StringValidatorTests.as?revision=1237166&view=markup

Ok, sorry  I missed that. I take my words back: Flex *is* using those
test frameworks then, cool.

-Bertrand

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, February 17, 2012, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Jun Heider <jun@realeyes.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > ...can we realistically say that something has been adopted into the
> project
> > without a proper [VOTE] thread?
> >
> > Maybe one of the mentors can set me straight?..
>
> The final rule IMO is that decisions must be made by consensus.
>
> A [VOTE] is definitely consensus, if someone misses that it's their
> problem.
>
> Any other form of consensus can be challenged, because it's too easy
> to miss on a busy list.
>
> I've just added a note to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started about
> [DECISION] which is confusing, will discuss in a separate thread.
>
> BTW, in my opinion there's not much benefit in deciding for one test
> framework or another until there are *actual tests in svn* that people
> can use to make an opinion. Code speaks louder than words.
>
> -Bertrand

Here's a link:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/whiteboard/s9tpepper/validators/src-tests/org/apache/flex/validators/StringValidatorTests.as?revision=1237166&view=markup

-omar

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, February 17, 2012, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Jun Heider <jun@realeyes.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > ...can we realistically say that something has been adopted into the
> project
> > without a proper [VOTE] thread?
> >
> > Maybe one of the mentors can set me straight?..
>
> The final rule IMO is that decisions must be made by consensus.
>
> A [VOTE] is definitely consensus, if someone misses that it's their
> problem.
>
> Any other form of consensus can be challenged, because it's too easy
> to miss on a busy list.
>
> I've just added a note to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started about
> [DECISION] which is confusing, will discuss in a separate thread.
>
> BTW, in my opinion there's not much benefit in deciding for one test
> framework or another until there are *actual tests in svn* that people
> can use to make an opinion. Code speaks louder than words.
>
> -Bertrand

There are actual tests in the SVN. Head into my whiteboard area,
s9tpepper/validators, the validators I added are tested using FlexUnit and
Mockolate.

-omar

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>.

@Mansour - Thanks for the clarification.
@Omar...proceed. +1 (binding) Looks like I need to re-read the getting started guide. :)

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by almansour belleh blanco <za...@gmail.com>.
2012/2/17 Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>:

> On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> I'm not really seeing any opposition to FlexUnit and Mockolate as the unit
>> testing and mocking libraries we should adopt. Unless I get some objections
>> before EOD tomorrow I'm going to assume we've reached a consensus on this
>> and add some verbiage to the project site to communicate which libraries
>> we'll be working with for unit testing the framework.
>>
>> --
>> Omar Gonzalez
>> s9tpepper@apache.org
>
> Hi Omar, sorry for the late response. In addition to this post I also saw some conversation on some commits from you regarding this verbiage.
>
> Two reasons for my tardiness:
>
> 1. Been swamped with tons of client work lately.
>
> 2. This was marked as [DECISION]. Seeing this post makes me wonder, can we here at Apache Flex adopt something holistically without a [VOTE] thread? To be quite honest this mailing list is so busy that when I get busy as in #1 above, I have a tendency to skim my inbox for threads marked with [VOTE].
>
> That being said, I'm personally not contesting FlexUnit and Mockolate, but on the other hand can we realistically say that something has been adopted into the project without a proper [VOTE] thread?
>
> Maybe one of the mentors can set me straight?

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started
you can see in the link above that [DECISION] is "Discussion to get a
decision in a already discussed matter. " so, it means that the
decision will be taken after everybody agreed on something, I guess.

--
Mansour Blanco
Software engineer

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>.
On Feb 17, 2012, at 3:45 AM, Omar Gonzalez wrote:

>> In the future I would have to agree with Bertrand on this [LAZY] marker
>> adoption. This will allow us to skim this busy list when we're swamped with
>> paid work and pay more attention when we're not. Also as Bertrand mentioned
>> in the previous response, if this decision had been made and I missed it,
>> then yes...definitely my problem.
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>

> I have no problem doing it again, that's why I asked in this thread. I have
> not publishe the text yet and I'm still learning the ins and outs. I have
> been trying to move this forward for a week now.
>
> -omar

Nah man, push it forward. I'm the one coming in late. Like you I'm learning the ins and outs too. I have another thread going for [LAZY] for future stuffs. So...hack away I say. :)

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>.
On Feb 17, 2012, at 3:36 AM, Omar Gonzalez wrote:

> The short answer is yes.
>
> Unless there are objections if there is a "lazy consensus" reached there is
> no need to [VOTE] on everything, we'd never get anything done that way I
> imagine. You can read more on the decision making process here:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
>
> -omar

Yep, I think you and I responded at the same time. Thanks.

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Heider <ju...@realeyes.com>.

Posted by Yennick Trevels <ye...@gmail.com>.
Well, my previous code example was just stupid,
project.configurations.merged.files is enough, no need for that loop
statement :D

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 14/02/2012 00:44, David Arno wrote:
> Looks like Drew is anticipating that for Mockolate as he merged a pull
> request that includes a POM file for Mockolate earlier today.

Interesting.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-8

> It uses Groovy for build syntax and convention-over-configuration
> (so also no XML fiddling), we have the added benefit of having one of the
> authors on the malinglist here.

Hi Roland,

Just noticed that, thanks. Hadn't heard of GradleFX before, but a quick read
suggests it's a good choice.

David.

Re: [DECISION] Unit Testing and Mocking Frameworks

Posted by Roland Zwaga <ro...@stackandheap.com>.
Hi David,

--
regards,