Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/29 14:16:30 UTC

Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Hi all,

Thanks to the valuable discussions on this list I was able to successfully
build Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10 in less than a day. Below are some of my
experiences.

1. Requirement of ant-optional
2. Requirement of setting ANT_OPTS even on Ubuntu
3. Xerces distribution at given download target is faulty
4. Need to separately checkout log4cxx
5. Need to install package libxtst-dev

Also, some methods discussed on the list weren't required (ex:- soft links
for libXtst). In addition to that I noticed a number of warnings when
building C/C++ source.

Thanks,
Senaka

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Tharindu Mathew <mc...@gmail.com>.
These are the same thing I went through when building harmony. GOod to see
that a configuration guide was created.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/DevConfiguration_Ubuntu7-10
>
> contains a guideline on installing Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> 1. Xerces distribution at given download target is faulty
> 2. Need to separately checkout log4cxx
>
> Are required to be corrected from the Harmony side I believe, as this
> doesn't seem to be some OS specific requirement.
>
> Regards,
> Senaka
>
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > successfully
> my

> > > links
> when
> > >
> > > Good job Senaka.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you could update/enhance the wiki [1] with your experiences.
> >

> > +1. working on that now
> >
> > Regards,
> > Senaka
> >

> > > [1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/DevConfiguration_Ubuntu6
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tim

Tharindu

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x416 day of Apache Harmony Nathan Beyer wrote:
> One alternative to the copying of the ecj JAR to Ant's main library
> folder is to put it in "~/.ant/lib". The ant script will load those
> libraries as well. This helps for cases where you can't write to the
> main Ant lib folder or you just want to keep things isolated.

nice tip! thank you, Nathan!

--
Egor Pasko

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nathan,

I have done the requested modifications.

Regards,
Senaka

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x416 day of Apache Harmony Tim Ellison wrote:
> Egor Pasko wrote:
> > On the 0x416 day of Apache Harmony Senaka Fernando wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Thanks to the valuable discussions on this list I was able to successfully
> >> build Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10 in less than a day. Below are some of my
> >> experiences.
> >>
> >> 1. Requirement of ant-optional
> > is this one really necessary? I do not have it installed and see no
> > problem on Ubuntu 6, did not try on 7-10 yet. What is the error
> > message?
> >
> >> 2. Requirement of setting ANT_OPTS even on Ubuntu
> >> 3. Xerces distribution at given download target is faulty
> >> 4. Need to separately checkout log4cxx
> >> 5. Need to install package libxtst-dev
> > updated it on the website, in prerequisites, expect the update to
> > take
> > effect soon.
> > everyone: I think, it is nice to put the link to DevConfiguration
> > howtos from the Getting Started For Contributors [1]. Or move the wiki
> > to separate page(s). What is better?
>
> Add a link to the wiki from [1] -- it's better that everyone can
> easily contribute to that body of knowledge.

appears that the link is already there, wow :)

--
Egor Pasko

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x416 day of Apache Harmony Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x416 day of Apache Harmony Senaka Fernando wrote:
> > Hi again Egor,
> >
> > The error message was "No supported regular expression matcher found:
> > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > org.apache.tools.ant.util.regexp.Jdk14RegexpRegexp"
>
> reproduced, thanks!
>
> AFAIR, to run unit tests you will also need to put junit.jar into ant
> lib directory, but I am not sure which version..
>

> Argh, Getting Started guide is even less usable than I thought. See
> how it is organized:
>
>  2. Checking out the Federated Build Tree
>     svn co ...
>
>     After you populate the source trees in the _next_step_,
>     working_classlib will be the checkout of the class library SVN
>     tree
>
> HA-HA! the next step is "3. Starting the Federated Build" which suggests
> "ant -Dauto.fetch=true" that fails without means to surprise us.
>
> I am going to add "ant populate-src" just before the "ant
> -Dauto.fetch=true" to solve this under-documentation..

Nadya fixed this with "ant -Dauto.fetch=true all", cool, thanks, me almost happy

--
Egor Pasko

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

--
Egor Pasko

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x416 day of Apache Harmony Senaka Fernando wrote:
> Hi again Egor,
>
> The error message was "No supported regular expression matcher found:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.tools.ant.util.regexp.Jdk14RegexpRegexp"

added this case to troubleshooting:
http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/DrlvmBuildTroubleshooting

--
Egor Pasko

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi again Egor,

Posted by Senaka Fernando <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 Mar 2008 20:40:49 +0300, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the 0x416 day of Apache Harmony Senaka Fernando wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks to the valuable discussions on this list I was able to
> successfully
> > build Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10 in less than a day. Below are some of my
> > experiences.
> >
> > 1. Requirement of ant-optional
>
> is this one really necessary? I do not have it installed and see no
> problem on Ubuntu 6, did not try on 7-10 yet. What is the error
> message?

Yes, if not it lead to a build break. However, I had several other issues
that caused build breaks too, at the point at which I added this package. I
suspected that this is required because the error message changed after this
package was added.

I discovered that this package is required from [1].

[1] http://markmail.org/message/cijagz7kkmqjfke4

> > 2. Requirement of setting ANT_OPTS even on Ubuntu
> > 3. Xerces distribution at given download target is faulty
> > 4. Need to separately checkout log4cxx
> > 5. Need to install package libxtst-dev
>
> updated it on the website, in prerequisites, expect the update to take
> effect soon.

That's quite nice.

Regards,
Senaka

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x41A day of Apache Harmony Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> Egor, thanks for pointing to the rootcause.
> Fixed the log4cxx issue at r643801. Strange, somehow antcall ignores
> inheritAll=false so I added marker prefix to avoid collision with
> svn.* properties.

thanks, Alexey. Helps. Verified :)

--
Egor Pasko

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

--
Egor Pasko

Re: Building Harmony on Ubuntu 7.10

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
Have you tried overriding ANT_HOME with a Ant 1.6.5 version? Check
that it's not a 1.7 issue.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

--
Egor Pasko