Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2015/06/25 16:39:44 UTC

Password hash changes

All, but in particular @alasdairhodge, @grkvlt and @ahgittin:

PR #687 "Tweak PasswordHasher to avoid potentially misleading use of
ByteBuffer.array()" has an unresolved discussion around this potential
break in backwards compatibility.

This question is blocking the release, so we should come up with an answer.

The issue is a recent change in the password hashing algorithm. Password
hashes from before and after the change are not compatible, so users with
hashed passwords in their brooklyn.properties must regenerate them.

The options are:

1 - document in the release notes that users must regenerate their password
hashes.
2 - change the code to try both old and new variants of the algorithm. Warn
the user they need to update.
3 - supply an upgrade tool (haven't checked if this is feasible)

What are people's opinions?

Richard.

Re: Password hash changes

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

This is already in the release notes btw thx to Sam.

Best
Alex

message after it was sent.

Re: Password hash changes

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Password hash changes

Posted by Andrea Turli <an...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

Re: Password hash changes

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
I should also make it clear that if code changes are needed, then someone
will need to do the code changes, and hopefully ASAP :-)

Richard.

Re: Password hash changes

Posted by Martin Harris <ma...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.

--
Martin Harris
Lead Software Engineer

message after it was sent.

Re: Password hash changes

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
To chip in with my own opinion - Brooklyn is in beta, and I believe that
password hashes did not exist in our last GA release of 0.6.0. Therefore a
user going from 0.6.0 GA to 0.7.0 GA would not notice the issue. Only
someone who had been using the 0.7.0-M1/M2 or -SNAPSHOT builds would be
affected. Could we take no further action (other than the release notes,
since they're easy) and still be in compliance with our own code
deprecation policy?

Richard.