Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Daniel Seybold <da...@uni-ulm.de> on 2015/06/12 15:10:30 UTC

How to use availabilityZone Parameter for location Openstack

Hi dev-guys,

After I get Brookyln running with Openstack it works like a charm by
creating the VM and starting the applications.

But I'm stuck at one point.

I'm trying to add the *availabilityZone *Paramter to my blueprint but it
isn't recognized by Openstack.
I assume Brooklyn does support this paramter because Jclouds supports it
too.

Here a simple Yaml as example (the default availabilityZone exists on
Openstack):

name: Nginx

location:
   gqt5EHkd (Id of my Openstack)

services:
  - serviceType: brooklyn.entity.proxy.nginx.NginxController
    provisioning.properties:
       autoAssignFloatingIp: true
       availabilityZone: default

Can you give me some advice how I can add the availabilityZone parameter
in the right way?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Re: How to use availabilityZone Parameter for location Openstack

Posted by Daniel Seybold <da...@uni-ulm.de>.
Hi Aled,

thanks for your help and your hint with the named location was very
useful :-)

I've followed your suggestion and tried the following YAML:

name: Nginx

location:
   named:Openstack

services:
  - serviceType: brooklyn.entity.proxy.nginx.NginxController
    provisioning.properties:
       autoAssignFloatingIp: true
       privateKeyFile: /path/to/keys
       templateOptions:
             availabilityZone: default

But unfortunately the Openstack availabilityZone is still picked randomely.

Do you have any clue why this parameter is still not used correctly?

Or is it possible to add the availabilityZone property to the
brooklyn.properties file (if yes can you provide me the correct paramter
name)

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Daniel

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi Daniel,

You should be able to supply this with:

    location:
       # Id of my Openstack
       gqt5EHkd

    services:
      - serviceType: brooklyn.entity.proxy.nginx.NginxController
        provisioning.properties:
           autoAssignFloatingIp: true
    *      templateOptions:**
    **        availabilityZone: default**
    *

Explanation: we have pulled out various common properties as top-level
configuration, to be passed into jclouds. However, for other parameters
such as the jclouds NovaTemplateOptions.availabilityZone(String) you
need to explicitly say that this is a field of the jclouds template options.

---
For location, you can also use "named locations" rather than having to
dig out the location id (if that would be easier for you) [1].

Aled

[1] https://brooklyn.incubator.apache.org/v/latest/ops/locations/index.html

On 12/06/2015 14:10, Daniel Seybold wrote:
> Hi dev-guys,
>
> After I get Brookyln running with Openstack it works like a charm by
> creating the VM and starting the applications.
>
> But I'm stuck at one point.
>
> I'm trying to add the *availabilityZone *Paramter to my blueprint but
> it isn't recognized by Openstack.
> I assume Brooklyn does support this paramter because Jclouds supports
> it too.
>
> Here a simple Yaml as example (the default availabilityZone exists on
> Openstack):
>
> name: Nginx
>
> location:
>   gqt5EHkd (Id of my Openstack)
>
> services:
>  - serviceType: brooklyn.entity.proxy.nginx.NginxController
>    provisioning.properties:
>       autoAssignFloatingIp: true
>       availabilityZone: default
>
> Can you give me some advice how I can add the availabilityZone
> parameter in the right way?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Daniel

message after it was sent.