Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Tim Dawson <td...@wamnet.com> on 2001/05/25 04:17:17 UTC

VOTE: multiple i18n:bundle tags && committer status for Tim Dawso n

I have the following changes to i18n that I'd like to place into CVS.
---
1. adding an "id" attribute to the BundleTag

this is useful to allow programmatic access to the bundle (I provide test
pages that list all key-value pairs in the bundle, and testers can set their
browser pref to view all the translations, rather than having to browse the
site & trip over all possible error messages)

this is also useful if you want to allow other tags to access the bundle,
(see #3)

2.  allow multiple BundleTags to be used on a single page

this is something I resisted at first, but I've gotten emails from other
people since then who have requested, and who am I to fight the future? :-)

my big problem with this was that the first bundle tag must set the response
locale, and subsequent bundle tags may not end up with the same locale, so
we'd have a problem.  this shouldn't happen with "good" programming
practices (hopefully if anyone used two bundles on the same page, they'd
provide the same locales for both).  so I think the best approach would be
to just throw a JspException if a subsequent bundle definition comes back
with a locale that doesn't match the first bundle's locale.

3. adding "bundleRef" and "bundle" attributes to the message, ifdef, and
ifndef tags.

this allows the tags to access a specific bundle if multiple are defined.
if neither of these tags are included, then the tag defaults the one defined
by the FIRST <i18n:bundle>.

the "bundle" attribute allows these tags to be used without first requiring
an i18n:bundle tag to be defined.  not sure why one would do this, but hey,
it's easy enough to do while we're adding "bundleRef"
---

In addition to continuing maintenance on the i18n taglib, I'd like to also
be able to (if needed) help do some of the work related to upgrading the
taglibs to the common.xml/common.properties that I started.  While I've had
some good collaboration with James Strachan (thanks James) I'd like to be
able to make some of these changes myself, so I'm also requesting to be
granted committer access to the taglib CVS repository.

Thanks,

TIm Dawson

Re: VOTE: multiple i18n:bundle tags && committer status for Tim Dawso n

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
I am currently working on overhauling the jakarta-taglibs dir/file layout,
build, and implementing support for taglib releases.

Please post any patches you have to the list.

Thanks,

Glenn

Posted by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com>.
+1 for Tim as a committer

    -- Pierre

Re: VOTE: multiple i18n:bundle tags && committer status for Tim Dawso n

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
+1 for Tim as a committer
+0 for the i18n changes (I don't have enough i18n background personally to
  form a strong opinion)

Shawn

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
+1 for Tim as a committer

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
Unofficial (non-committer) +1. Tim's build system rocks, and I need
someone specifically interested in common.xml to bug with patches ;)

--Jeff

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 09:17:17PM -0500, Tim Dawson wrote:
> I have the following changes to i18n that I'd like to place into CVS.
> ---
[..]