Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2004/01/12 23:48:41 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Jakarta Commons moving to JIRA

Guys,

There are separate requests on the table to move BETWIXT, CLI, CODEC, JEXL
and CONFIGURATION from Bugzilla to JIRA.  JELLY is already there.

Are there any other Jakarta Commons projects that want to migrate?  Are
there any that do NOT want to leave bugzilla?

Right now, each "project" is a component of Commons.  If we move to JIRA, I
would propose that we create a Project Category for Jakarta Commons, and
make each component a project, so that each one can be released separately
with its own versioning, etc.  We could use a common scheme for permissions,
notifications, etc..  Jelly has a dedicate scheme, but I think we could use
a single scheme for all of Jakarta Commons.

A bugzilla import will create a single Commons project, but we can then move
the issues from the imported project into a new project for each of our real
projects.

For each TLP, we should probably have a single permission scheme, but I'm
not going to get into that argument today.  We can create
jakarta-administrator and jakarta-commons-developer groups.

	--- Noel

Re: [PROPOSAL] Jakarta Commons moving to JIRA

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <e....@cross-systems.com>.
I don't think I have a weight in the decision but my preference goes to
Bugzilla. JIRA looks nice but I don't see the need for a migration,
Bugzilla has all the features we need (and it could be upgraded to the
latest version to benefit from the improvements especially in the
management of attachments).

What is the motivation for this migration exactly ?

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:
> I'm -0 on moving Digester (the project I mostly contribute to).
>
> It's purely on philosophical grounds. While it's kind of the JIRA team
> to grant free use of their product I would prefer to stay with something
> free. I'm not opposed to commercial products but bug/issue tracking is a
> core development tool and as such there really should be a good free
> solution. By moving to JIRA we take away motivation to work on better
> free alternatives to Bugzilla, like Scarab (http://scarab.tigris.org).

-0
I don't have any problems with using bugzilla and other installations
(like Red Hat's site) show that bugzilla's interface can be customized and
cleaned up quite a bit.  I don't understand why free Apache projects
should use non-free bug tracking software.  If it ain't broke, don't fix
it.

David

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Guys,
>
> There are separate requests on the table to move BETWIXT, CLI, CODEC, JEXL
> and CONFIGURATION from Bugzilla to JIRA.  JELLY is already there.
>
> Are there any other Jakarta Commons projects that want to migrate?  Are
> there any that do NOT want to leave bugzilla?
>
> Right now, each "project" is a component of Commons.  If we move to JIRA, I
> would propose that we create a Project Category for Jakarta Commons, and
> make each component a project, so that each one can be released separately
> with its own versioning, etc.  We could use a common scheme for permissions,
> notifications, etc..  Jelly has a dedicate scheme, but I think we could use
> a single scheme for all of Jakarta Commons.
>
> A bugzilla import will create a single Commons project, but we can then move
> the issues from the imported project into a new project for each of our real
> projects.
>
> For each TLP, we should probably have a single permission scheme, but I'm
> not going to get into that argument today.  We can create
> jakarta-administrator and jakarta-commons-developer groups.
>
> 	--- Noel

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://osprey.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: [PROPOSAL] Jakarta Commons moving to JIRA

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Guys,
>
> There are separate requests on the table to move BETWIXT, CLI, CODEC, JEXL
> and CONFIGURATION from Bugzilla to JIRA.  JELLY is already there.
>
> Are there any other Jakarta Commons projects that want to migrate?  Are
> there any that do NOT want to leave bugzilla?

I am +1 on moving the projects I am involved with here, viz FileUpload,
Validator, Chain, Resources [, Multipart]. I've always found Bugzilla a
pain, and would be happy to move to Jira.

I'll note in passing, though, that the opposite inclination has been
indicated by a couple of other developers on Validator and Resources, so
those two might not be good candidates at this time.

> Right now, each "project" is a component of Commons.  If we move to JIRA, I
> would propose that we create a Project Category for Jakarta Commons, and
> make each component a project, so that each one can be released separately
> with its own versioning, etc.  We could use a common scheme for permissions,
> notifications, etc..  Jelly has a dedicate scheme, but I think we could use
> a single scheme for all of Jakarta Commons.

+1

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@olin.edu>.
Where should I be starting? If it is simply that jelly has pointed to
the wrong place, the right place might be addressing my issues. I'm just
following their link.

-Gus

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@olin.edu>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Gus Heck wrote:
>

>>After looking at Jelly's JIRA as linked from their project pages
>>(http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10012), it
>>is clear that there are some nice features, it looks nicer than both
>>bugzilla and scarab and is and friendlier than scarab
>>

>>I do see one major usability glitch
>>

>>Nowhere did I see a link for Entering a bug.
>>

>As it says in the Welcome Panel: "You must register and login if you want to
>create, comment, vote, or watch issues."

Did you follow the link? I don't see that anywhere on the page I linked
which is what Jelly provides as an entry point from their website. Is
there a better entry point?

>In other words, you have to sign
>in first.  The default permissions allow anyone to browse, but require one
>to be signed-in in order to create an issue.  If you don't have an account,
>there is a link ("signup") right below the login fields.
>
>The menu bar at the top has the primary functions that you would perform.
>If the feature isn't available, it generally means you haven't logged in.
>:-)  Once you are logged in, the menu bar has more functions, and the front
>page changes to a custom "dashboard" tailored to your particular desires.
>

>>The possible bug in searching is that I did a search on "escape", a word
>>chosen randomly from one of the Popular Bugs (JELLY-55, in which it
>>appeard as "escapeText"), and it failed to find the bug I chose the word
>>from. chosing the word "body" however did bring up that bug. It seems
>>that perhaps JIRA was only finding .*escape and not .*escape.*...
>>

>escapeText != escape.

Yes clearly that is true in the search mechanism but it also appeared to
be true that

unescape == escape

However after some digging I did find an instance of plain old "escape"
in the description of that bug so that is probably why things looked wrong.

RE: Allow anonymous issue creation in JIRA? (Re: [PROPOSAL] Jakarta Commons moving to JIRA)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > > I'll remind you that bugzilla is configured the same way.  You must be
> > > logged in if you want to create a bug report.  The difference is that
> > > bugzilla has a link, but you get redirected to a login page, first,
> > > whereas Jira doesn't give you the option unless you are logged in.
> > Yeah, it's always a grumble of mine with public bug tracking systems. I
> > wanted to quickly be a good citizen and make a note, not join the
> > community.

> is there any reason we shouldn't enable anonymous issue
> posting/commenting, if projects want it?

Not as far as I'm concerned, although it would negate the use of "current
reporter" permission for such entries.

> Alternatively, the 'Create Issue' link in JIRA can be exposed by
> commenting out the permission check in includes/decorators/bodytop.jsp.
> Users clicking on 'Create Issue' will be asked to log in, and then
> redirected back to the create issue page.

That would be OK, too.  Others may have different preferences and
considerations.

What happens if we allow anonymous posting as a default, but a given project
requires jira-user?

	--- Noel

Allow anonymous issue creation in JIRA? (Re: [PROPOSAL] Jakarta Commons moving to JIRA)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
(from a commons-dev thread where it has strayed OT..)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:54:11PM -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > > Any reason for forcing people to register to put a bug in? It's just an
> > > administration choice for JIRA if I recall.
> >
> > I'll remind you that bugzilla is configured the same way.  You must be
> > logged in if you want to create a bug report.  The difference is that
> > bugzilla has a link, but you get redirected to a login page, first, whereas
> > Jira doesn't give you the option unless you are logged in.
>
> Yeah, it's always a grumble of mine with public bug tracking systems. I
> wanted to quickly be a good citizen and make a note, not join the
> community.

+1

Frequently I've thought "sod it" and gone elsewhere when confronted by a
Yet Another login form.

Given that any change is mailed to the relevant project list, so from an
oversight POV, making an anonymous bug entry seems no different to
editing a Wiki page.  So is there any reason we shouldn't enable

http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa

will be asked to log in, and then redirected back to the create issue
page.

--Jeff

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@olin.edu>.
I sometimes think that there is an aspect of the ASF bug tracking
systems that gets forgotten... How easy it is to learn to use them. As a
contributer to Ant, and an operator of my own bugzilla, I have been very
satisfied with bugzilla in this repsect. The first time I ever used
bugzilla I had no trouble figuring out how to do a query, or fill in a
bug form. The query form seemed a bit disorganized, but there were lots
of explanatory links and with a little looking I found the submit button
without too much trouble. I have not once had to explain details of how
to use bugzilla to users of my bugzilla, nor have I recieved complaints
about it. Some of the users are introductory programming students who
have never used any bug tracker before.

In contrast, I don't like scarab. I have several times found issues in
OJB (relating to JDO implementations), but they use Scarab. Scarab I
regret to say is quite difficult to use (at least if you don't already
know how to use it, or maybe only if you are used to using bugzilla, I
don't know which). It entirely fails to document itself clearly.
Bugzilla has explanitory links all over it's bug creation and query
forms, which is something I beleive to be critical to a bug tracking
system that will be accessed by users who are not already familiar with
it. I have several times tried to use Scarab, and each time it has
failed, or it has eaten all my plain text formatting by coalescing all
the whtiespace (that makes stack traces really fun to read), or whatnot.
I am sure it is user error on my part, but so far I really haven't had
time to find out where to read up on how to properly use Scarab. Another
annoyance is that after you sign up for an account with scarab it tells
you you must "request" membership in a project, which seems to imply
that you might be rejected. Really not a very welcoming start.

The systems used at apache should (IMHO) be transparent, user friendly
and self explanitory. If they want users to report bugs in their
software, it should be easy to learn the system. The current result with
Scarab and me, is if I see that a project uses scarab, I only report
bugs on their mailing list. I suppose if I decide I want to become a
direct contriubuter to a project that uses Scarab, or I have some free
time and think of it, I will take the time do the research to figure out
how to enter bugs properly in Scarab.

So I wrote the above mostly based on the gut reaction, oh no not another
bug system to fight with...

After looking at Jelly's JIRA as linked from their project pages
(http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10012), it
is clear that there are some nice features, it looks nicer than both
bugzilla and scarab and is and friendlier than scarab, but I do see one
major usability glitch, and possibly a bug in searching. Nowhere did I
see a link for Entering a bug. This is the main reason people come to a
bug database. How can there not be a link on the front page for it!?!? I
have a strong suspeicion that such a link would have appeared had I
created an account and logged in, but there was no link for that
either... just a log in link. (now I think it is vairly likely if I
followed the log in link it would eventually get me to an account
creation link, but....) Only my existing knowledge of how web apps and
bug trackers tend to work tells me that. Nothing on the page helps you
enter a bug. (unless I am blind or stupid, both of which happen
occasionally). It could use more explanitory links too, but at least
there was a help link (once I saw the really tiny bubble thing in the
upper right) that led to a detailed manual (though that manual didn't
have a "Enter a bug" section). I didn't have time to browse the manual
deeply, but this is still inferior to links on the issue entry page,
because the user must leave the page, and search the manual for the item
they don't understand, rather than being taken directly to the item.
It's hypertext man, take advantage of that!

The entry page is is a stark contrast to bugzilla where you are
immediately provided with links to do each of the main tasks (quick
search, detailed query, enter bug, get summaries, log in, create
account). Whatever reason someone came to a bugzilla front page, (other
than by accident) the link is there where they can't miss it. The
possible bug in searching is that I did a search on "escape", a word
chosen randomly from one of the Popular Bugs (JELLY-55, in which it
appeard as "escapeText"), and it failed to find the bug I chose the word
from. chosing the word "body" however did bring up that bug. It seems
that perhaps JIRA was only finding .*escape and not .*escape.*...

So my order of preference for bug tracking from a "support the novice
user" perspective is:

Bugzilla
JIRA
Scarab

Just my $0.02 worth (I don't get much per word do I?),

-Gus

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> What about jakarta-commons-sandbox projects?  Note that there is potential
> for a name overlap problem, e.g. jakarta-commons [myproject] and
> a jakarta-commons-sandbox [myproject]

That is something we would have to address when naming the project.
Personally, unless a sandbox project is related to a commons project,
perhaps untested components, it would not make sense to allow
commons-sandbox projects to have a naming collision with commons projects,
since the former are supposed to eventually become the latter.

Posted by Michael Heuer <he...@acm.org>.
What about jakarta-commons-sandbox projects?  Note that there is potential
for a name overlap problem, e.g. jakarta-commons [myproject] and a
jakarta-commons-sandbox [myproject], although I do not believe this is
currently the case.

   michael