Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by amit sehas <cu...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2019/02/05 15:45:07 UTC

coordinator failure handling

Sorry to bother you, i am just starting to look into Cassandra, and am confused about a lot of things.
If a client sends a query to a coordinator, then if it does not receive a response from the co-ordinator then:
a) is there a timeout at which client retries the query?b) is there somewhere we can specify the timeout?c) will it resend the query to the same co-ordinator, if not then how does it determine which coordinators to send it to?
thanks

Re: coordinator failure handling

Posted by Tom Wollert <to...@codeweavers.net>.
All below AFAIK

a) The query will only be retried after half the timeout has passed, if the
query is idempotent (you have to set that on prepare statement, otherwise
it will assume it isn't)
b) Querytimeout can be set globally in the
Cluster.Builder().WithQueryTimeout
c) The LoadBalancingPolicy should handle that. Generally use
TokenAwarePolicy it should round robin through nodes that are responsible
for the data you are trying to save/access

--
Development Director

| T: 0800 021 0888 | M: 0790 4489797 | www.codeweavers.net |
| Codeweavers Limited | Barn 4 | Dunston Business Village | Dunston | ST18
9AB |
| Registered in England and Wales No. 04092394 | VAT registration no. 974
9705 63 |

 CUSTOMERS' BLOG <http://blog.codeweavers.net/>     TWITTER
<http://twitter.com/#%21/CodeweaversLtd>       FACEBOOK
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Codeweavers-Limited/205794062775987>      LINKED
IN <http://www.linkedin.com/company/225698?trk=tyah>     DEVELOPERS' BLOG
<http://codeweavers.wordpress.com/>      YOUTUBE
<http://www.youtube.com/user/codeweaversltd>

--
 <https://codeweavers.net>

What's happened at Codeweavers in 2018?
<https://codeweavers.net/company-blog/what-s-happened-at-codeweavers-in-2018>
l *Codeweavers 2018 Stats & Trends
<https://gallery.mailchimp.com/fcb361cfa194cf70551bc5169/files/debe4909-70ff-45d7-9bfd-05f43fa2e504/Codeweavers_stats_2018.03.pdf>*

*Phone:* 0800 021 0888   Email: contactus@codeweavers.net
<ma...@codeweavers.net>
Codeweavers Ltd | Barn 4 | Dunston

<https://twitter.com/Codeweavers_Ltd>
<https://www.facebook.com/Codeweavers.Ltd/>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/codeweavers-limited>

Re: coordinator failure handling

Posted by Eric Stevens <mi...@gmail.com>.
This will depend on what driver you're using at the client.  The Java
driver, for example, has ways to configure each of the things you
mentioned, with a variety of implementations you can choose from.  There
are also ways to provide your own custom implementation if you don't like
the options available.