Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> on 2024/03/06 01:31:17 UTC

Re: [VOTE] UIMA Ruta 3.4.1 RC 1

On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 7:30 AM Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>
wrote:

> > On 6. Feb 2024, at 10:14, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > For building I had to define ~/.m2/toolchains.xml, you might want to add
> > message to the README.md as I had a hard time understanding the
> "toolchain"
> > was missing, not the JDK itself.
>
> It's not advertised anywhere yet I think, but we do have a documentation
> that
> actually talks about the toolchain:
>
> https://nightlies.apache.org/uima/draft-guides/maint.html#_maven_toolchains
>
> Eventually, the UIMA website should link to that guide - and all the stuff
> regarding releases, developer setup, etc. that we currently have on the
> website should be dropped in favor of the maintainers guide.
>
> Feel free to update the website ;)

I wanted to add an issue in the GitHub website about this discussion and
make a PR for it but the project is not configured with an issue tracker.
Can you change that or does it need to go through infra?

Re: Towards a new UIMA website

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
> On 8. Mar 2024, at 08:20, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I realized it was Ruby because I was reading it's migration documents and
> for that they need custom Ruby setup (and they don't support velocity).

I use Asciidoc quite a bit, so I always wanted to have a go at https://antora.org/
... but I never really found good access to it.

In terms of popularity, Markdown seems to be still the most prominent and
https://docusaurus.io/ seems to be hip in that area.

Not sure if either of those is really well suited for actual website building
as opposed to building just static documentation pages.

What I liked about Jekyll is that it is possible to work with structured data
(e.g. YAML files containing release information) and to iterate over such things,
sort it, filter it, e.g. to show the last release on a site. Also, it allows
iterating over folder strucutures, e.g. I can drop a new "use case" in to a "use-cases"
folder and set the system up such that this is automatically scanned and added
into the site. Jekyll uses the Liquid templating language which is quite flexible
(at least for the purposes I encountered so far) and concise.

I've also played around a bit with Jinja (but not related to websites). With respect
to popularity, that also seems to me quite interesting. It is concise and quite
readable - similar to Liquid. Jinja seems to come from Django, but I don't know
a prominent static site generator that's using it.

XML-based stuff like Velocity seems to be a turn-off these days. While I have
years of experience with XML I have to admit that I also have started to like
JSON and YAML more and prefer Markdown languages and non-XML templating when
possible.

-- Richard

Re: Towards a new UIMA website

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.
Fair points. And I see you use it for your other projects.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
I don't know any ruby either - but I also never had to use any ruby when
dealing with Jekyll. Just like I never had to use any Java when dealing
with the current velocity site.

Being mainly a Java developer, I also have a preference towards a Java-based
system, but I also see benefit in using a widely used, well-known, and stable
system as opposed to something more obscure that might or might not be maintained
and updated, that fewer people know and that I find less examples of on the web.

After all, we just want to have a website and not develop a site builder tool.

-- Richard

Posted by Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com>.
I put together a pull request for some minor cosmetic changes. If anybody
wants to review it, otherwise I'll merge it on Monday.

Towards a new UIMA website

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi Pablo

> On 6. Mar 2024, at 02:31, Pablo Duboue <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wanted to add an issue in the GitHub website about this discussion and
> make a PR for it but the project is not configured with an issue tracker.
> Can you change that or does it need to go through infra?

You can doing by self-service by placing a `.asf.yaml` file into the repository:

  https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-asfyaml?tab=readme-ov-file#repository-features

See e.g. the one in the Java SDK:

  https://github.com/apache/uima-uimaj/blob/main/.asf.yaml

Cheers,