Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Loreno Oliveira <lo...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/17 19:52:47 UTC

boring messagens buiding axis2

Hi all, me again... :-)

Every time I build axis2 I'm getting lots of boring messages such as:

Error retrieving artifact from [
http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/maven/ws-commons/jars/XmlSchema-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar]:
java.io.IOException: Forbidden.
Artifact /ws-commons/jars/XmlSchema-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar doesn't exists in
remote repository, but it exists locally

Possibly I'm wrong, but it smells as a maven debility. That is, it shoud
first check if the artifact is present locally. If not, it should try to
download it from some place. However, seems like it is doing the inverse
algorithm...

Is there anyway of hiding these messages??

Thanks!

PS: I think it's time to lighten the list and invest some hours studing
maven.... :-)

Loreno

Re: [Axis2] boring messagens buiding axis2

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Loreno,

Trying to enlighten the list on maven with my little knowledge ;-) .

This jar exists in http://cvs.apache.org/repository/ws-commons/jars/.

> Possibly I'm wrong, but it smells as a maven debility. That is, it
> shoud first check if the artifact is present locally. If not, it
> should try to download it from some place. However, seems like it is
> doing the inverse algorithm...
May be this is correct. The word SNAPSHOT is special for maven. That
means, I want to always get the latest jar from the repository and build
against that. So how can the latest jar of some other project be in your
local repository ?. So maven will always check for latest jars, if the
jar is marked as SNAPSHOT.

But even in that case, if you do not want to get the latest, but to use
whatever found on the local repo, you can always try to build offline.
Just put -o and you maven will only say, your jars may be outdated.

But this is bit dangerous as we in Axis2, change our code with the
change of some jars. axiom is the best example. Axis2 better be build
against the latest SNAPSHOT of axiom jar.

So I hope maven is doing the right thing, according to our instructions.

-- Chinthaka