Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2009/08/12 19:29:13 UTC

Struts Annotations 1.0.5 Release Vote

The Struts Annotations 1.0.5 test build is now available as a Maven
artifact. Functionality was added, but Struts releases do not currently
use the new features.

The test build is available in the Struts snapshot repository located
here -

http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/struts-annotations-1.0.5/m2-staging-repository/

If you have had a chance to review the test build, please respond with
a vote on its quality:

[ ] Leave at test build
[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] General Availability (GA)

Everyone who has tested the build is invited to vote. Votes by PMC
members are considered binding. A vote passes if there are at least
three binding +1s and more +1s than -1s.

The vote will remain open for at least 72 hours, longer upon request.

-Wes
--
Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: Struts Annotations 1.0.5 Release Vote

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
+1 GA
Cheers, Rainer

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
That doesn't make any difference or have any impact, I say we keep it.

musachy

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Wes Wannemacher<we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:40:38 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
>> >
>> > http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/struts-annotations-1.0.5/m2-stagin
>> >g- repository/org/apache/struts/struts-annotations/1.0.5/struts-
>> > annotations-1.0.5.pom
>> >
>> > It's released against a released struts-master. It is released against v4
>> > though and it looks like I released v5 of struts-master
>>
>> Um, no, you didn't. You may have run the Maven release plugin, but
>> there was no vote, so there is no release.
>>

> Martin, I don't want to split hairs here

This is not splitting hairs, it is fundamental to the way the ASF
works. By definition, a release *must* be voted on by the PMC. If it
wasn't voted on, then it isn't a release. A release might be GA, or
Beta or even Alpha, but it must have been voted as such by the PMC.

Maven confuses the issue because it has a release plugin that does
*not* build ASF releases; it builds what Maven chooses to call
releases, and what we call simply builds. A build (or sometimes 'test
build') is what may go up for vote in order for it to become a
release.

While the page you referenced uses the term 'distribution', I don't
like that term because it implies that it is something for users to
use. It is not. Only developers (defined as people who follow the -dev
list) see 'distributions', or builds, and those artifacts are not
intended for consumption by users (defined as people who do not follow
the -dev list).

Once a build has gone thought a vote on the -dev list, it either
becomes a release (GA, Beta, or Alpha) or doesn't. If it doesn't, it
dies, and should not be available for users to consume. If it does, we
push it do the mirrors and make an announcement.

Note that before we started using the Maven release plugin, no build
would go to the Maven repo until it was voted to be a release. That is
the down side of using the plugin - if we use it, and the vote fails,
then we need to remove the artifacts it pushed to the Maven repo to
that they are not misinterpreted as releases.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:40:38 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Wes Wannemacher<we...@wantii.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 August 2009 02:13:26 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
> >> If this was built against a new and unreleased struts-master, then my
> >> vote is -1. We need to vote to release the new struts-master before we
> >> can vote on the new struts-annotations build.
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/builds/struts/struts-annotations-1.0.5/m2-stagin
> >g- repository/org/apache/struts/struts-annotations/1.0.5/struts-
> > annotations-1.0.5.pom
> >
> > It's released against a released struts-master. It is released against v4
> > though and it looks like I released v5 of struts-master
>
> Um, no, you didn't. You may have run the Maven release plugin, but
> there was no vote, so there is no release.

Martin, I don't want to split hairs here, but I think you are saying that it

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.