Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Charles Harvey III <ch...@alloy.com> on 2005/04/21 18:50:01 UTC

reloading a host from the IP address manager

Hello there.
I have Tomcat setup with a few different <Host>s.  Each webapp needs
a new URL so it gets its own <Host> entry.  Not weird.  But what
gets difficult is that I cannot reload each of these <Host>s.

http://12.34.56.78/manager/reload?path=/myapp

That works if I have:
<tomcat-home>/webapps/myapp/

But not if I have:
<tomcat-home>/webapps/myapp/ROOT/

I have to go to:
http://www.myapp.com/manager/reload?path=/

But I don't want to have the manager app accessible on my live apps.
Also, my production servers are load balanced, so I have to reload
two to four servers if I do this.  Also, for each <Host> that I
create, I have to then make sure that the
<tomcat-home>/conf/Catalina/www.myapp.com/ folder has a manager.xml
in it.  This gets to be a headache when you have 8 apps on the machine.

Is there a better way to do this?  How does everyone else reload
apps when they deploy new content?  (I am deploying a few files each
time, not a new .war file.)

Thanks a lot.

Charlie