Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> on 2008/10/31 16:23:28 UTC

OT need anti-spam domain registrar

I need a domain registry who won't spam me every two weeks with crap and
argue that since I am a client of theirs, its not a violation of
can-spam laws to spam me and refuse to stop.  And, no, I can't change
the email address because then we won't get REALLY important
announcements, like someone just tried to re-register my domain.

First spam, maybe (but I always opt out of any 'spam the crap out of me
because I am stupid enough to buy from you' options).

First spam, maybe, if they provide an opt out link and honor it.

But if they don't provide an opt out link, and if email to
abuse@domaindirect.com bounces since they obviously are ignorant of the
RFC's, or as in the case of the previous one(dotster), their WEEKLY SPAM
got so bad, that AWL, bayes, and reputation filters started to score
them as spam, that I had to make a choice:  whitelist them so that I get
any emergency, billing, change of dns important emails, or move.

I did.. from one spammy registrar to another one.

So, who do you use? I don't want to have to whitelist them because they
are in DNS blacklists already, and I don't want them sending me
'important offers from our partners that you just can't live without'.

Who?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
 > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Certified SNORT Integrator
    * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008
    * Information Security Award 2008, Info Security Products Guide
    * CRN Magazine Top 40 Emerging Security Vendors

For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Re: OT need anti-spam domain registrar

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Michael Scheidell wrote:

> So, who do you use? I don't want to have to whitelist them because
> they are in DNS blacklists already, and I don't want them sending me
> 'important offers from our partners that you just can't live without'.

I've used networksolutions.com for about 10 years I think.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: OT need anti-spam domain registrar

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Michael Scheidell wrote:
> I need a domain registry who won't spam me every two weeks with crap and
> argue that since I am a client of theirs, its not a violation of
> can-spam laws to spam me and refuse to stop.  And, no, I can't change
> the email address because then we won't get REALLY important
> announcements, like someone just tried to re-register my domain.
>
> First spam, maybe (but I always opt out of any 'spam the crap out of me
> because I am stupid enough to buy from you' options).
>
> First spam, maybe, if they provide an opt out link and honor it.
>
> But if they don't provide an opt out link, and if email to
> abuse@domaindirect.com bounces since they obviously are ignorant of the
> RFC's, or as in the case of the previous one(dotster), their WEEKLY SPAM
> got so bad, that AWL, bayes, and reputation filters started to score
> them as spam, that I had to make a choice:  whitelist them so that I get
> any emergency, billing, change of dns important emails, or move.
>
> I did.. from one spammy registrar to another one.
>
> So, who do you use? I don't want to have to whitelist them because they
> are in DNS blacklists already, and I don't want them sending me
> 'important offers from our partners that you just can't live without'.
>
> Who?

gandi. never got unwanted mail from them. and

$ whois spamhaus.org
Sponsoring Registrar:Gandi SAS (R42-LROR)

Re: OT need anti-spam domain registrar

Posted by Sahil Tandon <sa...@tandon.net>.
On Oct 31, 2008, at 11:23 AM, Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net>
wrote:

> I need a domain registry who won't spam me every two weeks with crap
> and argue that since I am a client of theirs, its not a violation of
> can-spam laws to spam me and refuse to stop.  And, no, I can't
> change the email address because then we won't get REALLY important
> announcements, like someone just tried to re-register my domain.
>
> First spam, maybe (but I always opt out of any 'spam the crap out of
> me because I am stupid enough to buy from you' options).
>
> First spam, maybe, if they provide an opt out link and honor it.
>
> But if they don't provide an opt out link, and if email to abuse@domaindirect.com
>  bounces since they obviously are ignorant of the RFC's, or as in
> the case of the previous one(dotster), their WEEKLY SPAM got so bad,
> that AWL, bayes, and reputation filters started to score them as
> spam, that I had to make a choice:  whitelist them so that I get any
> emergency, billing, change of dns important emails, or move.
>
> I did.. from one spammy registrar to another one.
>
> So, who do you use? I don't want to have to whitelist them because
> they are in DNS blacklists already, and I don't want them sending me
> 'important offers from our partners that you just can't live without'.
>
> Who?

I use PairNIC -- highly recommended. Good luck.

Re: OT need anti-spam domain registrar

Posted by Timothy Lyons <ly...@geekcq.com>.
Try dyndns.org and/or gandi.net - never had a problem with either.

--Tim

On 10/31/08, Michael Scheidell <sc...@secnap.net> wrote:
> I need a domain registry who won't spam me every two weeks with crap and
> argue that since I am a client of theirs, its not a violation of
> can-spam laws to spam me and refuse to stop.  And, no, I can't change
> the email address because then we won't get REALLY important
> announcements, like someone just tried to re-register my domain.
>
> First spam, maybe (but I always opt out of any 'spam the crap out of me
> because I am stupid enough to buy from you' options).
>
> First spam, maybe, if they provide an opt out link and honor it.
>
> But if they don't provide an opt out link, and if email to
> abuse@domaindirect.com bounces since they obviously are ignorant of the
> RFC's, or as in the case of the previous one(dotster), their WEEKLY SPAM
> got so bad, that AWL, bayes, and reputation filters started to score
> them as spam, that I had to make a choice:  whitelist them so that I get
> any emergency, billing, change of dns important emails, or move.
>
> I did.. from one spammy registrar to another one.
>
> So, who do you use? I don't want to have to whitelist them because they
> are in DNS blacklists already, and I don't want them sending me
> 'important offers from our partners that you just can't live without'.
>
> Who?
>
> --
> Michael Scheidell, CTO
> Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
>  > *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation
>
>     * Certified SNORT Integrator
>     * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008
>     * Information Security Award 2008, Info Security Products Guide
>     * CRN Magazine Top 40 Emerging Security Vendors

> This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(r).
> For Information please see http://www.spammertrap.com

Sent from my mobile device