Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by da...@davidkarlsen.com on 2009/08/26 15:18:47 UTC

Shiro looks promising

Hi!

Shiro really looks promising for the task at hand here.
Just a few questions:
-When do you think the 1st official Apache Shiro release will be out?
-How many [active] committers are there?
-In an enterprise setting (e.g. many applications deployed) - will each
and every appliation have to access the backend realm (I'm
thinking of authenticating agains LDAP, and having the roles in JDBC) - or
can this be centralized in some way? I'm not too fond of having to wire up
each application - it would be nice to have this centralized, and let the
applicatoins go through this centralized service, which I imagine would
require less configuration for each app/client.

TIA

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Re: Shiro looks promising

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

Not sure when the first release will be out - it is up to how fast the
the community helps contribute to resolve Jira issues :)  My gut
feeling is that we're still probably 2 to 3 months out before our
first official 'alpha' release.

General project status information can be found on Apache's clutch
page[1].  Just look for Shiro's row.

Currently Shiro does not have the concept of a central management
server/console.  Each application has to configure its own realm(s) to
interact with one or more enterprise data sources (RDBMS, LDAP, etc).

But even with a central management system, you'd still have to wire
each application individually to 'point' to this central system - I
don't know how to get around that individual wiring problem.

Give Shiro a try and feel free to ask questions on the user list for
general usage questions and on the dev list for framework internal
development questions.  You'll find that people generally give good
answers to questions, even if it might take a day or two ;)

Cheers,

Les

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html