Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by darie17 <da...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/12 12:12:18 UTC

Failed to create database

Hello,

I'm using Derby as an embedded DB in my Java app. Well, everything works
fine when running the application from my IDE (Netbeans 6.9, jdk1.6.0_21,
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit). I can create tables, read data out of them etc.

But: when I deploy my application (i.e. create an installation package
containing the app and other resources) and install it like any other
application, I always get the following exception when the program tries to
initiate the DB:

Failed to create database 'C:\Program Files\MyApp\myDB', see the next
exception for details.

myDB is be the folder where Derby should store its files for my app.

After long debugging sessions :) I noticed something: if I install the
application anywhere else than in Program Files, it works perfectly. That is
why I think its rather a write access problem. Please notice we are talking
about Windows 7. And the question is: how can I solve it?

Thanks!

Re: Failed to create database

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>.
I get this when there is already a directory with that name.  If you see the
"next exception" you'll probably see that it says the directory already
exists.

David

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:12 AM, darie17 <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Derby as an embedded DB in my Java app. Well, everything works
> fine when running the application from my IDE (Netbeans 6.9, jdk1.6.0_21,
> Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit). I can create tables, read data out of them etc.
>
> But: when I deploy my application (i.e. create an installation package
> containing the app and other resources) and install it like any other
> application, I always get the following exception when the program tries to
> initiate the DB:
>
> Failed to create database 'C:\Program Files\MyApp\myDB', see the next
> exception for details.
>
> myDB is be the folder where Derby should store its files for my app.
>
> After long debugging sessions :) I noticed something: if I install the
> application anywhere else than in Program Files, it works perfectly. That
> is
> why I think its rather a write access problem. Please notice we are talking
> about Windows 7. And the question is: how can I solve it?
>
> Thanks!

David W. Van Couvering

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidvc
http://davidvancouvering.blogspot.com