Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/08/17 11:15:41 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice Conference 2012

On 09/06/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
>> A proposal might cover:
>> Name
>> Duration ...
> I would just add, if needed, the conference fees/admission.
> Historically, the OOoCon has been free to attend (or almost free, with a
> nominal fee, say 10 Euros, to avoid fake registrations). Does it work
> the same for ApacheCon? If it doesn't, it might complicate the
> "conference within a conference" model a bit since the proposal would
> have to discuss the possibility of allowing partial registrations.

And now we know from http://www.apachecon.eu/ that admission will be 450
EUR (i.e., in the range of 550 USD) and that apparently partial
registrations (OpenOffice track only) are not allowed.

Especially considering that the regular ticket price will be "a few
hundred Euros [or USD]" more expensive, as the page says, this will be a
significant change for most people used to attend OOoCon. So far,
admission to OOoCon had been in the 0 EUR - 10 EUR (0-15 USD) range.

This is not something bad in itself, and of course there are open source
conferences that are more expensive than this one, but it would have
been good to know it in advance, since it is a major difference with
respect to the past. (Yes, I know that committers receive a discount and
that travel assistance may be requested, but I'm speaking in general).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenOffice Conference 2012

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, August 17, 2012, drew wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 11:15 +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > > I would just add, if needed, the conference fees/admission.
> > > Historically, the OOoCon has been free to attend (or almost free, with
> > > nominal fee, say 10 Euros, to avoid fake registrations). Does it work
> > > the same for ApacheCon? If it doesn't, it might complicate the
> > > "conference within a conference" model a bit since the proposal would
> > > have to discuss the possibility of allowing partial registrations.
> >
> > And now we know from http://www.apachecon.eu/ that admission will be 450
> > EUR (i.e., in the range of 550 USD) and that apparently partial
> > registrations (OpenOffice track only) are not allowed.
>
> Well you are happily invited to a free conference, close in time,
> distance and subject matter.

Thanks!

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.