Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Adrian Sutton <ad...@symphonious.net> on 2007/06/27 23:39:10 UTC

Migrating Between Persistence Managers

Hi all,
I'm trying to migrate content from the derby persistence manager to
SimpleDb with MySQL (to do some A/B testing on which is faster in our
particular environment). Is there a simple way to do this?

My first thought was to use the JCR exportSystemView or
exportDocumentView functions and then reimport, however I've found
the import keeps failing:

* Somehow a few of our documents have the character &#11; in them
which isn't allowed in XML so the import fails to parse the exported
XML file. I can get around this by removing them via regex before
reimporting (though that's annoying).

* When doing an export (document or system) from / it complains that
a constraint has been violated under the jcr:system node (missing
child I believe).

* When doing an export (only tried document view in this case) from
just the particular node our data is under (which looses the old
versions I believe), we get an XML parse error:
An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x0) was found in the value of
attribute "jcr:data" and element is "StrategicThemes.jpg".
I can't really go editing JPG data and expect it to continue to work
so I'm at a loss for how to move forward.

Is there a way to export the data from a JCR (or even just Jackrabbit
specific) repository so that it can be reliably reimported?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian Sutton
http://www.symphonious.net

Re: Migrating Between Persistence Managers

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi Adrian,

I would suggest, you setup a new workspace with the MySQL based persistence
manager and use Workspace.clone() method to create a clone of the original
workspace. You might want to not clone the /jcr:system tree, though, as this
tree is generally managed by the system and you won't need (and might not be
able) to touch anything in there.

Regards
Felix