Posted to dev@royale.apache.org by Idylog - Nicolas Granon <ng...@idylog.com> on 2017/11/02 22:46:46 UTC

RE: Mobile vs Desktop diferences in components

In our eyes, having *components* that can run on desktop or mobile is certainly very interesting.

After all, nothing prevent us from coding listeners that will never be triggered on desktop (swipe...).
I know, I know, it will make the component heavier but not very much...
And we are seeing more and more users with laptops (i.e. "desktop" configs) AND touch screen (like "surface" devices).
As such, a "swipe or mouse-drag" component makes sense.

But we do not really adhere to the "universal **application**" concept (I am talking about RIAs, not "pages").

The fact is that mobile use-cases for RIAs do not usually match desktop use-cases. That is because usually, the user is not in the same workflow.
Mobile workflows are simpler and thus, in the end, dictate simpler UIs.
Moreover, usually, it is not the same people who use the software "in the field" (mobile) and in the office (desktop).

We have learned that the only real "universal use-case" is when someone who is supposed to use a "mobile version" of some functionality does use it on a desktop (in fact, on a laptop, most of the time). In that case, it is really the "mobile" app who adapts to a "desktop" configuration and not the other way !

We have also learned that, when this happens, people expect the "desktop" (laptop) UI to be exactly the same as the mobile UI (except maybe that they have to use a mouse instead of gestures since not everybody is provided a laptop with a touch screen).

To them, the app functionality appears to live in some kind of "mobile emulator" and that is exactly what they want !

Of course, it is quite easy to have a "mobile-designed" app (or app module) look the same on a laptop screen ! (you just have to provide both mouse-driven and touch driven event management and make sure that everything can be done in each case). You can even avoid resizing and orientation problems !

But of course this is not necessarily true for everybody...

Nicolas Granon