Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@apache.org> on 2013/04/23 22:52:31 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.8-RC4 [Take 3]

Hello All:

This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.8-RC4 (yes, sigh, /again/)

Commons Codec 1.8 requires a minimum of Java 1.6

Changes from 1.8-RC4 VOTE take 2 are:

NOTHING. In Nexus, I deleted the bin and src archive by mistake.

Changes from 1.8-RC4 VOTE take 1 are:

NOTHING. In Nexus, I deleted too many checksum files before trying to
release the repo, so I created a new staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-129/

Changes from 1.8-RC3 are:

Add pmd.xml to source distribution to build the site.

Changes from 1.8-RC2 are:

Clarify NOTICE.txt

Changes from 1.8-RC1 are:

o Set the correct version for the Ant build in default.properties
o Fix URLs in NOTICE.txt file and Java source for ASpell.

Changes in this version include:

New features:
o CODEC-168:  Add DigestUtils.updateDigest(
MessageDigest, InputStream). Thanks to Daniel Cassidy.
o CODEC-167:  Add JUnit to test our decode with pad character in the middle.
o CODEC-161:  Add Match Rating Approach (MRA) phonetic algorithm encoder.
Thanks to crice.

Fixed Bugs:
o CODEC-163:  ColognePhonetic encoder unnecessarily creates many char
arrays on every loop run. Thanks to leo141.
o CODEC-160:  Base64.encodeBase64URLSafeString doesn't add padding
characters at the end.

This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours until April 26 2013 at 5:00 PM EST.

The files:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-130/

The tag:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/codec/tags/1.8-RC4

The site:

https://people.apache.org/~ggregory/commons-codec/1.8-RC4/site/

Thank you,
Gary Gregory

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.8-RC4 [Take 3]

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 26 April 2013 21:25, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2013, at 16:06, Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>
> wrote:

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-129/
> >>>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-130/
> >>
> >> Yes, thank you.
> >>
> >> Gary
> >
> > One proposal for future votes (at least until a final solution for the
> problems with unneeded checksums is found):

According to my reading, that is what the current documentation already
suggests.

> > The artifacts not needed in Nexus should be removed before the vote.
> Then, after a successful vote, this error-prone step is already done, and
> the staging repository just has to be released.
>
> But that does not solve the problem I just had. Nexus complains about
> the missing checksums only when you click release.

You could try raising an enhancement request for a "Validate" button or
similar.
 Or maybe the process should be changed so that deletions are only allowed
before the staging is Closed, in which case the validation could be done
then.
That would be much better IMO.

It's true that if I
> had removed the checksums before the vote

That is what I found best when using Nexus.

> then a human could have
> noticed that and cancel the vote then.

Yes, that should happen.

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 26, 2013, at 16:06, Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> wrote:

> Am 23.04.2013 23:15, schrieb Gary Gregory:

>>> I think you mean:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-130/
>>
>> Yes, thank you.
>>
>> Gary
>
> One proposal for future votes (at least until a final solution for the problems with unneeded checksums is found):
>
> The artifacts not needed in Nexus should be removed before the vote. Then, after a successful vote, this error-prone step is already done, and the staging repository just has to be released.

But that does not solve the problem I just had. Nexus complains about
the missing checksums only when you click release. It's true that if I
had removed the checksums before the vote then a human could have

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
+1

Oliver

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 04/23/2013 10:52 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.8-RC4 (yes, sigh, /again/)
>
> Commons Codec 1.8 requires a minimum of Java 1.6
>
> Changes from 1.8-RC4 VOTE take 2 are:
>
> NOTHING. In Nexus, I deleted the bin and src archive by mistake.
>
> Changes from 1.8-RC4 VOTE take 1 are:
>
> NOTHING. In Nexus, I deleted too many checksum files before trying to
> release the repo, so I created a new staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-129/
>
> Changes from 1.8-RC3 are:
>
> Add pmd.xml to source distribution to build the site.
>
> Changes from 1.8-RC2 are:
>
> Clarify NOTICE.txt
>
> Changes from 1.8-RC1 are:
>
> o Set the correct version for the Ant build in default.properties
> o Fix URLs in NOTICE.txt file and Java source for ASpell.
>
> Changes in this version include:
>
> New features:
> o CODEC-168:  Add DigestUtils.updateDigest(
> MessageDigest, InputStream). Thanks to Daniel Cassidy.
> o CODEC-167:  Add JUnit to test our decode with pad character in the middle.
> o CODEC-161:  Add Match Rating Approach (MRA) phonetic algorithm encoder.
> Thanks to crice.
>
> Fixed Bugs:
> o CODEC-163:  ColognePhonetic encoder unnecessarily creates many char
> arrays on every loop run. Thanks to leo141.
> o CODEC-160:  Base64.encodeBase64URLSafeString doesn't add padding
> characters at the end.
>
> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours until April 26 2013 at 5:00 PM EST.
>
> The files:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-130/
>
> The tag:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/codec/tags/1.8-RC4
>
> The site:
>
> https://people.apache.org/~ggregory/commons-codec/1.8-RC4/site/

+1

Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Codec 1.8-RC4 [Take 3]

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
My +1.

Gary

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 23/04/2013 22:52, Gary Gregory a écrit :
> Hello All:
>
> This is a VOTE to release Commons Codec 1.8-RC4 (yes, sigh, /again/)

+1 to the release.

And thanks, Gary, for your dedication!

Luc