Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Paul Stearns <pa...@compuace.com.INVALID> on 2020/06/09 21:51:28 UTC

Keeping user applications up to date in AIR.

If we deploy applications using AIR we will need to deploy updates. At present in the Flash/HTML environment that is easy (except for caching) you put the SWF file in the production folder of the website and the next time a user needs the module the get the new one.

Our systems consist of one Main.swf file and many modules (independent .swf files) which are mostly independent of one another. We would like to have a mechanism which would identify new .swf files which need to be loaded to client computer whenever the .swf file is needed.

Perhaps if a swf file has been verified for the current session, and the current day it would not be checked against the master.

Will "Adobe AIR Update Framework" do this (or help) for our applications? If so, where can we get a good introduction tutorial/documentation? If not where can we find something which will help accomplish what we are looking to do?

Another alternative is to check if there are updates when the application is loaded, but if a change is made to an obscure module which is seldom used by few people, we would not want to load it during startup which could/would cause the application to load slowly. We prefer JIT deployment.

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
Fax: (305)623-4588

Re: Keeping user applications up to date in AIR.

Posted by Paul Stearns <pa...@compuace.com.INVALID>.
I was thinking of the following approach to keep things up to date. The applications all talk to the application server (middle tier) for DB inquiries and the like.

For the "Main" application use the "Adobe AIR Update Framework."Since all other modules are loaded from a single place in the Main application, before I load a module I would;Check the date on the local swf file.Check the date on the swf file on the application server.If the date on the local file is less than (maybe not equal) the date on the application server, download the swf file. If possible set the date of the file downloaded = the file date on the application server.Run the swf file (module loader).

Before I head down this path, are there any technical reasons why this would not work?

Things like the AIR application can't load swf files into the application folder, or building the AIR app signs each swf file in such a way that they can't be loaded manually would be show stoppers for this approach.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew,

I'm a bit confused here with your email. Do you mean that AIR apps in 2021
will not be able to render Flash/Flex apps?
I think many people count on that.

Thanks

--
Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

RE: Keeping user applications up to date in AIR.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

    "Starting in AIR 22, applications that play swf content via the HTML control (WebKit) will now load the system level NPAPI Flash Player provided by Adobe (https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fget.adobe.com%2Fflashplayer&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9eea501409b94b4c598e08d80d635f6c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637274067748313564&amp;sdata=qxHnFxYlktD8GXnl909Ki662ALtZtHYeyEBFISiIq3Q%3D&amp;reserved=0).  If this plugin is not available on the system, the end user will be prompted to download and install the plugin from Adobe."

    Source: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhelpx.adobe.com%2Fflash-player%2Frelease-note%2Ffp_22_air_22_release_notes.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9eea501409b94b4c598e08d80d635f6c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637274067748313564&amp;sdata=wcwY4T3y%2BXHZuBGCs%2BMVA0FTWpwsnqSHubIorghT3Uk%3D&amp;reserved=0

    Sent from: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C9eea501409b94b4c598e08d80d635f6c%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637274067748313564&amp;sdata=vDXzfC0pZMJOH4HuH32wzSDKBAJzO%2BPFxaW9bEIhaG0%3D&amp;reserved=0

RE: Keeping user applications up to date in AIR.

Posted by Brian Raymes <br...@teotech.com>.
Hi all,

"Starting in AIR 22, applications that play swf content via the HTML control (WebKit) will now load the system level NPAPI Flash Player provided by Adobe (https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer).  If this plugin is not available on the system, the end user will be prompted to download and install the plugin from Adobe."

Source: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/fp_22_air_22_release_notes.html

Posted by "Paulus de B." <w....@knollenstein.com>.
Hi Paul,

No, we will be migrating users from our Flash / browser application to Flex
/ AIR, but as this is an IT project it takes a bit longer than anticipated
:-)

So for now, we bought ourselves some time by putting the Flash application
in an AIR application.

Cheers

Paulus

Re: Keeping user applications up to date in AIR.

Posted by "Paulus de B." <w....@knollenstein.com>.
Hi Paul,

You could use javascript and the window dom as a middle ground for both
(setting up messaging between the two):
https://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7ec2.html

Cheers

Paulus

Re: Keeping user applications up to date in AIR.

Posted by Paul Stearns <pa...@compuace.com.INVALID>.
Paulus:

The way our application works is everything is controlled from Flex. When you run a report generally there is a criteria panel in flex which uses  navigateToURL(url,"_blank"); to run a middle tier program that produces a PDF file.

Is there a way to communicate between the application running in the HTML control and the AIR application containing it?

Posted by Paul Stearns <pa...@compuace.com.INVALID>.
Paulus:

I did what you said, and it works great. Thank you very much for pointing this out.

Our applications interact with the web browser to allow things like uploading/downloading files, printing reports, etc. Were you able to come up with a solution for those interactions?

Paul R. Stearns
Advanced Consulting Enterprises, Inc.

15280 NW 79th Ct.
Suite 250
Miami Lakes, Fl 33016

Voice: (305)623-0360 x107
This sounds interesting. Are you saying you continue to develop your Flex app as a web based application, but effectively use AIR as the web browser?