Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Alison Ortega <ap...@gw.fis.ncsu.edu> on 2006/02/07 04:55:35 UTC

chainsaw help needed

I set up log4j a couple of years back on my weblogic servers... xml
config file, html and lf5 appenders, etc, and I was on the chainsaw site
tonight
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html
and found that the links to documentation and installation docs didn't
take me anywhere.  Can anyone point me to docs on how to
install/configure chainsaw using log4j 1.28.xx?
and what is webstart, and what is a jnlp file?

Alison Ortega
North Carolina State University
ETSS ESI
919-513-1417

Re: chainsaw help needed

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 07/02/2006, at 2:55 PM, Alison Ortega wrote:

> I set up log4j a couple of years back on my weblogic servers... xml
> config file, html and lf5 appenders, etc, and I was on the chainsaw
> site
> tonight
> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html
> and found that the links to documentation and installation docs didn't
> take me anywhere.  Can anyone point me to docs on how to
> install/configure chainsaw using log4j 1.28.xx?
> and what is webstart, and what is a jnlp file?

Chainsaw v2 is new, but it will still work with log4j 1.2.x.  I see
your application uses lf5 Appender, which is no longer supported.

Instead, what you would do is expose a SocketHubAppender in your
application, and have Chainsaw v2 connect to it via a matching
SocketReceiver.

Try installing Chainsaw by clicking on the Webstart Me Now button.
If you have Java 1.4 installed on your machine it should launch Java
and auto-install Chainsaw. If this does not work then your local
machine does not have a registered handler for the JNLP mime-type (an
indication that you don't have something installed right.)

You can try downloading the Unix/DOS standalone distribution of
Chainsaw, unpacking and running chainsaw.sh(or .bat, whatever your
local OS is ).

cheers,

Paul Smith