Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by stephane parenton <st...@parenton.com> on 2003/01/17 22:37:44 UTC

[users@httpd] 3 tier service and com/com+

Hi everyone

I'm posting my very first question here, but I don't know if it has been
already discussed (i'm tramping the net for 2 days without finding
anything which satisfies me !)... Here it is ! I have a program
somewhere on my network. I have a database somewhere else. I want to
have access to the program and therefor to the database through a web
interface. So Far, the technical aspects are not set for both db and
prog. A member of the team says that it would be faster to develop
something in asp and com/com+ (because he knows this technology very
well), and this thing would be the heart of the solution. But is it
possible to have such a solution regarding the fact that it must be
available on any platform (linux especially, IIS, mac etc...). I've
found that a soap apache exists, but is it the only solution ? What
could be the alternative to such a 3 tier architecture ? Apache/perl ?

The purpose of this is to create a network management tool (it's not
intended to be a "commercial" nor a "to be used" tool... It's a school
project). The server we will install our tool on are mainly linux, but
the programmers we have are mainly from windows' world... Thanks in
advance for any tips.

Stephane