Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Daniel Schaller <da...@cameronsystems.com> on 2005/08/07 21:02:43 UTC

Forwarding to a global Forward

Hi,

I have a global forward

<forward name="AddUser"     path="/ManageUsersEdit.do?
operation=add"></forward>

In one of my actions, I would like to forward to "AddUser" like:

<action ...>
     <forward
         name="default"
         path="/AddUser"
        />
</action>

rather than using the entire path defintion "/ManageUsersEdit.do?
operation=add".

However, if I do so, I get a 404 error, page or path not found.

Any ideas? Or is it simple not possible to forward to another
(global) forward?

Thanks,

Daniel

Re: Forwarding to a global Forward

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Hi Danial,

Are you getting a 404 because the FORWARD isn't found or because the
PATH isn't found?  I notice you have a space between ? and "operation",
and I'd be willing to bet that's what's causing the problem.

Whether it is or not, is there a specific reason you aren't just
returning the AddUser forward from your Action?

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: Forwarding to a global Forward

Posted by Daniel Schaller <da...@cameronsystems.com>.
Hello Geeta and Frank,

Thanks for you quick responses.

@Frank: The space of the ? was just a type when I was writing the mail.

@Geeta: You're right, I could forward directly from within my Action
class. However, if I am doing so, then I have to hard code the
Forward's name. Of course, I could define constants, however those
would be specific and not according to the common methodology like
using "success", "error" etc. for local forward names. I want to be
flexible and keep the Actions classes as close as possible to the
standard rules. And in case of a need to change the local forwards, I
don't wanna go to the source code and change it there.

So if there would be a way to have this indirection, that would be
great.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Daniel

On 7 Aug 2005, at 20:31, GRamani@intellicare.com wrote:

> Hi Daniel:
>
> Why do you even bother defining the "default" forward for your
> action? Why
> not simply (in your Action class) forward to "AddUser" - the global
> forward that you have defined already?.....Is there something else
> you are
> trying to achieve?
>
> Regards,
> Geeta
>

> Daniel Schaller <da...@cameronsystems.com>
> 08/07/2005 03:02 PM
> Please respond to
> "Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

> user@struts.apache.org
> cc
>
> Subject
> {Spam?} Forwarding to a global Forward
>

> Hi,
>
> I have a global forward
>
> <forward name="AddUser"     path="/ManageUsersEdit.do?
> operation=add"></forward>
>
> In one of my actions, I would like to forward to "AddUser" like:
>
> <action ...>
>      <forward
>          name="default"
>          path="/AddUser"
>         />
> </action>
>
> rather than using the entire path defintion "/ManageUsersEdit.do?
> operation=add".
>
> However, if I do so, I get a 404 error, page or path not found.
>

> Any ideas? Or is it simple not possible to forward to another
> (global) forward?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel

> believed to be clean.
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This email is intended solely for the person or
> protected health information.  Any duplication, dissemination, action
> taken in reliance upon, or other use of this information by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may
> violate
> applicable laws.  If this email has been received in error, please
> notify
> the sender and delete the information from your system.  The views
> expressed in this email are those of the sender and may not
> necessarily
> represent the views of IntelliCare.

Re: {Spam?} Forwarding to a global Forward

Posted by GR...@intellicare.com.