Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2004/07/03 05:24:57 UTC

Re: [OT] Anatomy of a long URL

Bryan Hunt wrote:

> I think someone in sun just wanted to create something fancy
> regardless of
> what the customers wanted just so he/she could put it on their cv.

Anyone who thinks this is the real reason hasn't read the technology
export restriction regulations that apply to US companies.  The
restrictions apply to the geographic location of the downloader, and
don't have anything to do with sessions or trying to make it more
gratuitously difficult to use command line tools.

Craig McClanahan

Re: [OT] Speaking of "gratuitously difficult".....

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
If you search for "web app tutorial" you should find something, but:

make this structure/files:

*.jsp
*.html
images/
WEB-INF/
WEB-INF/classes
WEB-INF/lib
WEB-INF/web.xml

from the root (you are in the directory that contains the JSPs, and the
WEB-INF directory, and the images directory if you have one), execute:

jar cf MyWebApp.war *.jsp *.html WEB-INF/ images/

A war file is just a zip file with some special contents in a particular
arrangement! You can also create it with winzip if you prefer.

execute this to verify what you have:

jar tf MyWebApp.war (or unzip -l MyWebApp.war)

You should see that the jar tool has created the MANIFEST.MF file for
you in addition to what you built.

For most servers (such as JBoss and the newer WebLogics), you simply
drop this war into a /deploy or similar directory and the server does
the rest.

If you are trying to build a Struts web app, look here:

http://www.reumann.net/do/struts/main

It'll get you going.

And yes, the deploy tool (as well as most of the J2EE tutorial) is lame.
Do they expect actual humans to keep rereading this stuff?

Erik

Posted by Emmanouil Batsis <Em...@eurodyn.com>.
Mike Duffy wrote:
> Speaking of "gratuitously difficult".....
>
> Has anyone ever messed with the "deploytool" in J2EE?

Um, yes; two years back though!

> I just want to deploy a simple war file.

Use Apache Ant. It will take you a week to become confident in writing
basic buildfiles, butyour life will change forever and other doors will
open as well (gode generation being one of them).

> Basically, shouldn't I be able to jar up everything in a webapp directory as long as I add the
> correct "deployment descripter"?

True; you can do that using the jar command.

> Also, is it possible to create a war file that has a "context.xml" file?

Yes.

hth,

Manos

Re: [OT] Speaking of "gratuitously difficult".....

Posted by Navjot Singh <na...@net4india.net>.
All you need is ANT - ant.apache.org

either use it standalone outside eclipse OR
use it as plugin wihtin eclipse.

HTH
navjot singh

--
regards
Navjot Singh

Have the courage to take your own thoughts seriously, for they will
shape you. -- Albert Einstein

RE: [OT] Speaking of "gratuitously difficult".....

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.
+1

Posted by Bryan Hunt <ad...@revoltingdigits.com>.

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
If you search for "web app tutorial" you should find something, but:

make this structure/files:

*.jsp
*.html
images/
WEB-INF/
WEB-INF/classes
WEB-INF/lib
WEB-INF/web.xml

put your class files in WEB-INF/classes, and put your third-party jar
files (dependencies) in WEB-INF/lib.

from the root (you are in the directory that contains the JSPs, and the
WEB-INF directory, and the images directory if you have one), execute:

jar cf MyWebApp.war *.jsp *.html WEB-INF/ images/

A war file is just a zip file with some special contents in a particular
arrangement! You can also create it with winzip if you prefer.

execute this to verify what you have:

jar tf MyWebApp.war (or unzip -l MyWebApp.war)

You should see the JSPs in the top level of the archive, and that the

Posted by Mike Duffy <md...@yahoo.com>.