Posted to users@airavata.apache.org by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/09 23:21:01 UTC

Upgrading JGlobus version 2.0.6-RC2

Hi All,

Within next two days I am planning to upgrade JGlobus [1] version to
2.0.6-RC2. With the upgrade I am also planning to introduce following
functionalities at GFac level.

1. Recovery mechanisms at GFac level
          a. Two phase commit
          b. Resuming Job monitoring after Airavata restarts
2. Job cancellation at GFac API level

Some of the FAQs are answered below;

a. Why upgrade ?
We had been using cog-jglobus 1.8.0 for grid communication. This is a
fairly old library and some of the functionalities are not supported.
(E.g:- TLS communication, SHA2 support, Support to handle X509Certificates
using Java objects)

b. Why "RC2" ?
We have tested 2.0.6-RC2 against functionalities we use within GFac. You
may find these test cases in [2].

c. What are the areas tested ?
Tests cover, myproxy operations, file transfer operations and job
submission. Further these tests were ran against trestles, lonestar and
stampede providers.

d. From where we going to pick 2.0.6-RC2 jars ?
Since 2.0.6-RC2 is not yet released we will add these jars as file system
repo to trunk. Plan is to get JGlobus 2.0.6 release out before 0.9 release.

Relevant Jira is in [3].

Comments/objections/concerns welcome.

[1] https://github.com/jglobus/JGlobus
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/sandbox/grid-tools (See
README for details)
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-883

Re: Upgrading JGlobus version 2.0.6-RC2

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh,

Some answers inline.

Thanks
Amila

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Amila,
>
> When you were upgrading JGlobus to 2.0.6, did you run into issues with
> XSUL dependencies?

I did not run into any specific issues.

> In other words, there were quite a few places where JGlobus dependency was
> there with Airavata modules, from what I can see, you seem to have fixed
> all these and now only limited to GFac, want to confirm it.
>
> Also, I am trying to make a new XSUL release independent of JGlobus. So
> that means HTPPS invokers with GSI Security will not work.

I did not quite understand what you meant by "HTTPS invokers with GSI
security".

> AFAIK, none of this code is in use within Airavata trunk. Do you see any
> potential issues with this change?

I also dont foresee any issues, because JGlobus is engaged at GFac level.
But I dont have a clear idea how XSUL is used within Airavata.

Thanks
Amila

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Amila,

When you were upgrading JGlobus to 2.0.6, did you run into issues with XSUL dependencies?  In other words, there were quite a few places where JGlobus dependency was there with Airavata modules, from what I can see, you seem to have fixed all these and now only limited to GFac, want to confirm it.

Also, I am trying to make a new XSUL release independent of JGlobus. So that means HTPPS invokers with GSI Security will not work. AFAIK, none of this code is in use within Airavata trunk. Do you see any potential issues with this change?

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.