Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Welz <r....@pro2col.de> on 2008/06/18 15:13:53 UTC

Re: tomcat 3.3 question

Am 18.06.2008 um 15:02 schrieb Robert Welz:

> A question:
>
> If I have a class / function
>
> Logger.Log (Logger.LOG_LEVEL_INFO, "Test " + Globals.BACKUP_STARTDIR);
>

> where will tomcat write these data out?

so when In server.xml
<LogSetter name="servlet_log"
                    timestamps="true"
                    verbosityLevel = "INFORMATION"
                    path="logs/servlet-${yyyyMMdd}.log"
                    />

is configured am I right in the assumption that the logfile is in /
jakarta/logs/ ?

Is there another knob I can use to get my logfile?

regards,
Robert

Re: tomcat 3.3 question

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Robert Welz" <r....@pro2col.de> wrote in message

> Am 18.06.2008 um 15:02 schrieb Robert Welz:
>
>> A question:
>>
>> If I have a class / function
>>
>> Logger.Log (Logger.LOG_LEVEL_INFO, "Test " + Globals.BACKUP_STARTDIR);
>>

>> where will tomcat write these data out?
>>

> so when In server.xml
> <LogSetter name="servlet_log"
>                    timestamps="true"
>                    verbosityLevel = "INFORMATION"
>                    path="logs/servlet-${yyyyMMdd}.log"
>                    />
>
> is configured am I right in the assumption that the logfile is in /
> jakarta/logs/ ?
>
> Is there another knob I can use to get my logfile?

Chuck has a point.  I'm pretty much the last of the 3.3 developers, and I
had to look up the answer ;).  BTW, at the moment it has been decided on
dev@tomcat that there will be no further 3.3.x releases.  And 4.1.x should
follow shortly.

Assuming that $TOMCAT_HOME=/jakarta, then yes, that is where the log file
will show up.  In general, a relative path will be resolved against
$TOMCAT_HOME.

While TC 3.3 has limited JMX support, this isn't one of the areas.  You have
to know the path if you want to get it (or at least enough to resolve
against $TOMCAT_HOME).

Re: tomcat 3.3 question

Posted by Robert Welz <r....@pro2col.de>.
Am 18.06.2008 um 15:33 schrieb Caldarale, Charles R:

>> From: Robert Welz [mailto:r.welz@pro2col.de]
>> Subject: Re: tomcat 3.3 question
>>
>> is configured am I right in the assumption that the logfile is in /
>> jakarta/logs/ ?
>
> Your version of Tomcat is so ridiculously old that very few - if any
> - people remember how it works.  The most recent 3.3 level came from
> March of 2002.

Yes, ridiculous. But if we had to upgrade tomcat, too, it will break
most of the software of our embedded device. But the very rest, which
is as old as tomcat has been upgraded already.
And tomcat will be the first to upgrade as soon as possible.

But the java thing works now (almost 75 percent) thanks for the
inspiration.

---
Robert
Pro2col Limited

RE: tomcat 3.3 question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Robert Welz [mailto:r.welz@pro2col.de]
> Subject: Re: tomcat 3.3 question
>
> is configured am I right in the assumption that the logfile is in /
> jakarta/logs/ ?

Your version of Tomcat is so ridiculously old that very few - if any - people remember how it works.  The most recent 3.3 level came from March of 2002.

> Is there another knob I can use to get my logfile?

Move up to a supported level and read the doc.

 - Chuck