Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Douglas Hurbon <do...@domino1.cuny.edu> on 2005/12/11 19:34:12 UTC

Best Practices for Custom Devlopment

I've recently modified a number of classes (like
publication.DocumentTypeBuilder, authoring.DefaultCreator, etc.) in
1.2.4 so that Lenya doctypes can have multiple page examples.  It works
great, and didn't take too long.

Also had to modify various xsl/xsp/xmaps.

I'm about to embark on allowing custom meta data in 1.2.

Is there an accepted method of over-riding, extending or otherwise
customizing core libraries so that the lenya core stays in tact?

I've rendered my version of 1.2 virtually  un-upgradable, which is fine
since 1.2 won't be evolving any more and since the modifications I'm
making are already implemented in 1.4.

I'm thinking more about after making the leap to 1.4, and figured if
there was an accepted method, I'd starting getting use do it now.

Thanks,

-doug