Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Christopher M. Ryan" <cr...@harmonia.com> on 2013/08/16 15:08:17 UTC

Shared Networks

Hi all!

What is the purpose of shared networks? I cannot make them accessible to the internet (in our case, the office network) unless they are on isolated VLANs with static (or source) NAT. I would like the VMS to exist as if they were on the office network without having to acquire a static IP address and without having to handle virtual firewall settings but am unsure of how to proceed. Any advice/suggestions? I've looked into the documentation but am failing to see configurations for this specific scenario.

Thanks in advance!

Chris Ryan
Harmonia Holdings Group, LLC
404 People Place, Suite 402
Charlottesville, VA 22911
Office: (434) 244-4002

Re: Shared Networks

Posted by "Christopher M. Ryan" <cr...@harmonia.com>.
I am out of the office for the weekend but will try this on Monday. Thanks for all the help!

Venkata SwamyBabu Budumuru <ve...@citrix.com> wrote:

Did you try something like this?

  *   create a shared network
     *   During creation specify the tagged VLAN your office network is on
     *   Specify the office n/w ip range that you want your Vms to be on
     *   Specify a gateway for the above range (This will be an existing GW that you are already using for your office n/w)
     *   Make sure the physical network (/NIC) where you are creating the shared n/w is connected to a switch port that is trunked / allowed your office VLAN

RE: Shared Networks

Posted by "Christopher M. Ryan" <cr...@harmonia.com>.
Unfortunately, this does not work. This solution created a shared network with a virtual router. This virtual router "hides" the VMs behind it from the office router.

Re: Shared Networks