Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Brian Forbis <bf...@athenahealth.com.INVALID> on 2019/01/09 22:42:22 UTC

Re: lib/nodets and lib/ts

Not the author of that new code, but the typescript code in lib/nodets is not actually a library implementation, just a suite of tests. The original JS compiler implementation with TypeScript support did not support the nodejs compiler switch, which mean generated thrift code in TypeScript would only work as a thrift client in the browser.

As for why there are now two "libraries" in the lib directory (which are just typescript @types or tests), I believe it's due to the fact that requiring libraries in browsers vs in nodejs is different (ie: it's a pain to include a lot of libraries with many files when in the browser). It's the same reason why there is both a js library and a nodejs library.

On 12/30/18, 8:25 AM, "Allen George" <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Could we ask the committee of the nodets code why the regular ts support wasn’t good enough?