Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Atul Dambalkar <At...@xoriant.com> on 2001/06/22 00:57:05 UTC

Jetspeed customization

Hi,

I have a question pertaining to Jetspeed customization.

Q.  Jetspeed generated screens follow a layout that is defined/configured by
the Jetspeed Administrator. Hence top/bottom part of the screen already get
defined. Portal user can only customize the portlet generated/OCS content.
Is it possible to configure the page lauout per user or may be per group or
per role basis? Can that be done thro' current Jetspeed implementation? If
not possible, what should be the customizations/changes in Jetspeed that are
needed? Or will that be a real massive effort?

Thanks for any help.

-Atul

RE: Jetspeed customization

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Hi Atul,

> the Jetspeed Administrator. Hence top/bottom part of the
> screen already get
> defined. Portal user can only customize the portlet
> generated/OCS content.

Yes, that is correct.
The "top/bottom part" that you referenced are navigations.
They are navigations. See the turbine docs for more info on how layouts and
navigations work.

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/fsd.html

The default layout is defined in your TR.p, and it defines the overall
layout of your page.
If you look at /WEB-INF/templates/vm/layouts/html/default.vm, you will see
how layouts include navigations, like:

The Turbine modules cannot be customized by the current Jetspeed customizer
implementation.
Only PSML content is customizable.

Again, looking at the default layout, there is

	$screen_placeholder

This is where the requested screen goes.
So if you look at the default screen, Home.vm, it simple does:

$jetspeed.getPane("default")

and that is where your psml gets included.

> Is it possible to configure the page lauout per user or may
> be per group or
> per role basis?
> Can that be done thro' current Jetspeed
> implementation? If
> not possible, what should be the customizations/changes in
> Jetspeed that are
> needed? Or will that be a real massive effort?

Unfortunately, we haven't yet enabled the customizer to make use of the
group or role based psml files.
It wouldn't take too much work, since Jetspeed already supports psml pages
per role and per group.

I would start with adding methods to the profiler, list(...), that would
list all profiles, or a filtered list.
When a user selects customize, a selector screen,  would be displayed before
the customize screen.
This screen allows the user to select which psml to customizer.
Only psml that the user has permission to edit would be shown in the list.

David Sean Taylor
taylor@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed