Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2008/04/23 22:25:44 UTC

SLF4J over Commons Logging

Yo yo... we've talked about this before, though a while ago... but IMO
its about time we drop Commons Logging like a rock and move over to
SLF4J.

The API is mostly the same, though SLF4J has native support for things
like:

     log.trace()

And has additional varargs support for things like:

     log.info("this is my foo: {}", foo)

I can dig up the old email I posted hella long ago if needed, but I
think its time to switch over.  Its been on the shelf for too long
already IMO.  I'm ready to start updating things to use the new API,
but before I do I want to get a general consensus from the group.

So chime in... failure to chime in means you agree with me :-P

:-)

--jason

Re: SLF4J over Commons Logging

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> Yo yo... we've talked about this before, though a while ago... but IMO
> its about time we drop Commons Logging like a rock and move over to SLF4J.

+1

Lots of useful features in SLF4J. It performs well in the cases when you
are not logging.

--
Thanks, Dan Becker

Re: SLF4J over Commons Logging

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
And testing now :-)

--jason

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Aight... well, ~9 hours later, I think its working or at 99%  I need
to re-add support for the org.apache.geronimo.log.ConsoleLogLevel
property, perhaps even add a special bootstrap SLF4J impl, but I think
that the work is almost ready to commit.

Re-building to see how the testsuite fairs with my latest changes...
and I have to go pick up my mom at the airport, but I hope to get this
committed later tonight :-)

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Took way too long at the airport, so punting commit until tomorrow
when I'm awake again.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Almost done ;-)

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.