Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> on 2022/01/12 19:26:32 UTC

Apache NiFi Jan 2022 Board report

Team: Thanks again for the continued excellent work and progress of
the community for Apache NiFi.

The mission of NiFi is the creation and maintenance of software related to
providing an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process and
distribute data.

Apache NiFi MiNiFi is an edge data collection agent built to seamlessly
integrate with and leverage the command and control of NiFi. There are both
Java and C++ implementations.

Apache NiFi Registry is a centralized registry for key configuration items
including flow versions, assets, and extensions for Apache NiFi and Apache
MiNiFi.

Apache NiFi Nar Maven Plugin is a release artifact used for supporting the
NiFi classloader isolation model.

Apache NiFi Flow Design System is a theme-able set of high quality UI
components and utilities for use across the various Apache NiFi web
applications in order to provide a more consistent user experience.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache NiFi was founded 2015-07-14 (6 years ago)
There are currently 59 committers and 35 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 8:5.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was David Handermann on 2021-09-15.
- Martin Zink was added as committer on 2021-11-09
- Margot Tien was added as committer on 2021-12-14

## Project Activity:
NiFi 1.15.0 was released Nov 8 2021.  This release included more than 245
JIRAs including many features across Apache NiFi, MiNiFi Java, Stateless NiFi,
the NiFi Registry.  We have since released bug fix and security focused
releases of NiFI 1.15.1 and 1.15.2 largely focused on dealing with the fallout
from log4shell.  The NiFi community was able to react quickly here and had
minimal exposure.  But we are also highly impressed with the actions of the
Log4j community and they should be commended for how quickly they acted
initially and thereafter.  We are likely to produce an Apache NiFi 1.15.3
release soon with additional bug focused work and are nearing a 1.16.0 release
with again many new features.

We have also produced an Apache NiFi MiNiFi CPP release of version 0.11.0.
The agents are now in use in many organizations and the project continues to
evolve well.

## Community Health:
Health remains strong.  Across mailing lists, Slack, various social media and
developer oriented sites we see continued strong activity. We saw the common
season decline in activity throughout the Holidays but progress remains.
We've continued to be highly active in releases and growing committership and
expect this to continue in the coming quarters.  The users mailing list
activity did decline substantially in the quarter but we have more than 2,000
people in our general Slack channel and it is quite active.