Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brendon Matheson <br...@brendonmatheson.com> on 2007/03/05 16:16:44 UTC

Why not DocBook?

Hi all,

I've always wondered why content for the Maven site plugin isn't defined as
DocBook articles.  It always struck me that xdoc's grammar is similar to the
core parts of DocBook, and being a standard might make DocBook more
attractive to some people.

Cheers,
brnzn

Re: Why not DocBook?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/5/07, Brendon Matheson <br...@brendonmatheson.com> wrote:

> I've always wondered why content for the Maven site plugin isn't defined as
> DocBook articles.  It always struck me that xdoc's grammar is similar to the
> core parts of DocBook, and being a standard might make DocBook more
> attractive to some people.

There are at least two docbook plugins for Maven...
 * http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Docbkx+Maven+Plugin
 * http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-sdocbook-plugin/index.html

I suppose there's no reason we couldn't have support for
src/site/docbook alongside src/site/apt and src/site/xdoc, if someone
wanted to put the time into it.

That is, for the site plugin to automatically recognize
src/site/docbook/index.xml and use that to generate the index page for
the project, as it would do with src/site/apt/index.apt.

Or did you have something else in mind?

--
Wendy