Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com> on 2005/11/03 06:59:21 UTC

Re: help to convert makefile to build.xml

You might want to give this a read:

On the Ant mailing lists it's generally considered bad form to reply
directly; please confine your responses to the list.

In any case I have no such examples, and even if I did I could not provide
them, as they would contain confidential IBM information.

--
Jeffrey E. Care (carej@us.ibm.com)
WebSphere v7 Release Engineer

Sethu Prasad G <g_...@yahoo.com>
11/03/2005 12:41 AM
Please respond to
g_sethuprasad

Jeffrey E Care/Raleigh/IBM@ibmus
cc

Subject
Re: help to convert makefile to build.xml

Ok fine.

Thanks indeed.

And I would like to have any sample of complex makefiles with its
equivalent build files from your end.

regards,

Sethu.

Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
To the best of my knowledge there is no tool that an do such a conversion;

you must do it by hand.

exec task problem

Posted by Andrei <an...@netrom.ro>.
I have an ant task that starts and stops jboss:

 <target name="run-jboss">
  <parallel>
    <echo message="--------------- atempting to start JBoss ------------"/>
    <exec dir="c:\java\jboss\bin" executable="cmd.exe" os="Windows XP">
     <arg line="/c c:\java\jboss\bin\run_unid_nocache.bat"/>
    </exec>

    <sequential>
     <echo message="--------------- waiting fo Jboss to
start ------------"/>
     <waitfor maxwait="5" maxwaitunit="minute" checkevery="30"
checkeveryunit="second">
      <http url="http://localhost:9080/app"/>
     </waitfor>
     <echo message="--------------- I think Jboss is started ------------"/>

      <echo message="++++++++++++++++++++++++ Stopping JBoss
++++++++++++++++++++++++++"> </echo>
      <exec dir="c:\java\jboss\bin" executable="cmd.exe" os="Windows XP">
       <arg line="/c c:\java\jboss\bin\shutdown.bat -s localhost:1099"/>
      </exec>
      <echo message="++++++++++++++++++++++++ JBoss Stopped
++++++++++++++++++++++++++"> </echo>

    </sequential>

  </parallel>
    </target>

the problem is that the ant task never finish execution, although the jboss
is stopped. I think the java process is never killed. Any body has any
ideea?

Re: help to convert makefile to build.xml

Posted by Sethu Prasad G <g_...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Steve,

Actually I conveyed  the same to my team, but am helpless,,

its ok,

Before thinking of Ant,

How to know the functional details of all makefiles in a project without going for any realtime build -- like the available variables, includes, dependencies, etc,,

Is there any visual tools available for Make to have the graphical view of one or all the files involved in the project along with resolution of dependency check and the like.

Sethu.

Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote: Sethu Prasad G wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I understand your valuable points,,
>
> This working project itself is a migration kind of doing,, already the product uses the make only,,
>
> The proposal is -- at the time of migrating the product to a recent version of servers ( ex : J2EE, LDAP, Database etc,, ) we want to do the same for build process also but with Ant,, bcos the clients are compelling on that issue,,

that's too big a migration all in one go. you are going to be doomed and
never be able to track down the problem.

start with baby steps, learn ant, apply to a child project. Get ant
working then migrate to the servers, or migrate the servers and move to
ant. dont try both at the same time.

---------------------------------

Re: help to convert makefile to build.xml

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sethu Prasad G <g_...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Steve,

Sethu Prasad G wrote:
> Jeff, I feel sorry for my mistake,
>
> --- the things at my end are like what is the equivlent of make's strip function in Ant and the like --- working on an urgent release --- which makes me to write to this list.

first rule of successful projects: never change big things like the
build process just before the release.

stick with make until you ship, then migrate. If you have to use ant
right now, you can always exec Ant from make. Use the unix ant command
or , on windows, runant.pl or runant.py to get error codes propagating back.

-steve

Re: help to convert makefile to build.xml

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sethu Prasad G <g_...@yahoo.com>.
Jeff, I feel sorry for my mistake,

--- the things at my end are like what is the equivlent of make's strip function in Ant and the like --- working on an urgent release --- which makes me to write to this list.

Any information on a manual with combined stuff on make and ant will be more helpful at this moment.