Posted to jcs-users@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Toback <Mi...@chordiant.com> on 2006/12/21 21:25:27 UTC

cache failover and use of groups

As I wrote previously, we need to be able to support failover of
systems. As an example:

1. User logs in to our system via the web
2. A socket connection is established back to the user to enable us to
push messages back to the user.
3. The mapping of the user name to socket connection is stored in a
cache on the local system
4. The lateral cache broadcasts this update to other nodes
5. Local node goes down, user is failed over to the other node. OK so
far since username-to-socket connection was broadcasted
6. Local node comes back up, no information on user since information
not rebroadcasted
7. Sometime later, if second node failed, user fails over to first node
but processing fails because no information on socket connection

The best solution would be to build this into the cache itself, such
that on restart a distributed cache such as the lateral cache could
broadcast a request and in response get item/value pairs. This would
also prove useful in systems where nodes are brought up and down as
needed.

To do this externally, I have modified my APIs for
get/put/remove/listItems to map all items to groups, such that list
items returns all of the items in the cache, as I am using the cache
name as the group name.

I can't find any references to use of groups except that a few old posts
claiming this is not a good thing to do, but can't find any
alternatives.

Any thoughts?

Michael I Toback
Principal Engineer
Orchestrating Business Processes
Chordiant Software
Cupertino, Ca 95014
(408)-517-6165

The information transmitted herewith is sensitive      information of Chordiant Software or its customers and is intended only for use to the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.