Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by GOMEZ Henri <hg...@slib.fr> on 2001/06/22 11:42:10 UTC

RE: [POLL] Tomcat 3.x RPMS : Which XML Parser to be put in ? : WA S : XML parser: old version

>> I launch that poll to see if which XML parser RPMS users want to
>> see included by default.
>Probably no XML parser should be included. . Just document the
>fact that
>admin should synlink necessary jars to the tomcat lib
>directory. IMHO it
>is wrong idea to include parser with any java app which requires it.
>JAXP API makes this unnecessary (definitely unless Tomcat uses some
>special private API from crimson or xerces).

If I didn't include a default XML parser, we'll receive just too many
emails from new users telling about 'tomcat couldn't find XML parser'.

The XML parser should be included in the distro since new and average
users MAY never use XML in their apps.

The experienced users in XML known what is JAXP, NAMESPACE, and also
know what parser they want to be used. Note that with TC 3.3/4.0 you'll
could use a different parser...

The real question is what could be a reasonable choice as XML for
Tomcat (size, functionnalities, stability...)

I'll forward the POLL to general-xml and general-jakarta !:

Re: [POLL] Tomcat 3.x RPMS : Which XML Parser to be put in ? : WAS : XML parser: old version

Posted by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <se...@clients.ie>.

> The XML parser should be included in the distro since new and average
> users MAY never use XML in their apps.
OK. My vote is for xerces (it is good and has same licence).
Also, it would be good to have the list of tomcat-compatible parsers.
At the moment, I tried jaxp 1.1 and latest xerces - they work correct.
What about people using IBM's one? MS's one?

BTW, for "new and average" users it is possible to use RPM dependancies.
For example, ask xerces (and sun's) people to put their classes to
parser.jar and check for this jar in RPM. Another option, RPM
pre-install script could try to find existing parser (and fail if there
is no one). RPM is rather sophisticated mechanism to deal with this
problem...

Regards,

Sergey