Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Anand Avati <av...@gluster.org> on 2014/05/09 03:33:30 UTC

Spark on Scala 2.11

Is there an ongoing effort (or intent) to support Spark on Scala 2.11?
Approximate timeline?

Thanks

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.
i believe matei has said before that he would like to crossbuild for 2.10
and 2.11, given that the difference is not as big as between 2.9 and 2.10.
but dont know when this would happen...

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11

Posted by Gary Malouf <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>.
Thanks a lot!

Jacek

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl>.

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11

Posted by Anand Avati <av...@gluster.org>.
On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:

> We can build the REPL separately for each version of Scala, or even give
> that package a different name in Scala 2.11.

OK.

> Scala 2.11’s REPL actually added two flags, -Yrepl-class-based and
> -Yrepl-outdir, that encompass the two modifications we made to the REPL
> (using classes instead of objects to wrap each line, and grabbing the files
> from some directory). So it might be possible to run it without
> modifications using just a simple wrapper class around it. That would
> definitely simplify things!

Exactly. I have been tracking those changes in 2.11 as well. We would need
a simple wrapper around ILoop, set the Yreplclassbased flag, an HttpServer
to export the repl-outdir, bind sc into repl namespace and maybe little
more initialization (customizing repl init code in 2.11 is not as trivial
as the <=2.10 versions, but still doable.) Still, even with all this, it
should be much simpler than pulling in and refactoring everything like
today. I already have a prototype for this in my working tree, still needs
integration testing.

> BTW did the non-REPL parts run fine on 2.11?

Currently fighting to get all the dependencies in 2.11. Quick pointer where
I can get sources for akka-*-X.Y-shared-protobuf? Also, what's the smallest
set of dependencies to build the smallest testable subset of the project?

Thanks!

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Spark on Scala 2.11