Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by BN <bn...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/10 23:26:57 UTC

Difference between ActiveMQ vs Apache ActiveMQ Artemis

I do not know if there is an existing thread on this subject but
-What is the difference between Active MQ and Apache ActiveMQ Artemis
It is possible that Artemis will eventually become the successor to ActiveMQ
5.x (and that it might eventually be branded as ActiveMQ 6.x), but no
decision about that had been made as of April 2015
So what should one be advising developers to use Apache ActiveMQ Artemis
which incidentally part of JBoss EAP 7.0 or use ActiveMQ 5.x which is the
commercially known ActiveMQ?

Regards
BN

Re: Difference between ActiveMQ vs Apache ActiveMQ Artemis

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I don't think either Justin or I were trying to boil the complexities of
evaluating a software product's fit for an organization into a couple
checkboxes or a couple-question flow chart; the data type of these
decisions is double[], not boolean.

We're just giving you information to evaluate against your organization's
needs; the actual evaluation of it is still yours to do, in the context of
your organization's specific needs.

Justin is right about the fact that the 1.0 version number doesn't mean
it's brand new code (though some of it is), and a risk-averse organization
might shun both Artemis 1.0 and ActiveMQ 5.12.x due to their newness while
preferring earlier versions of HornetQ or ActiveMQ (5.10.x, for example).

But to the Artemis community, BN's original question is a good one: what
are Artemis's strengths (current or planned) and why would people who
aren't migrating from HornetQ choose to move to it?  We've all been hearing
that Artemis is the new hotness, but what's hot about the hotness?  The
fact that this question is getting asked at all means you guys are missing
important content from your wiki pages...

Posted by BN <bn...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Gents for the posts.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.com>.
I want to clarify this point to avoid potential confusion.

While it's technically true that Artemis reached 1.0 in June of this year it's worth noting that it was based on what would have been HornetQ 2.5 (or perhaps 3.0). HornetQ has been baking in its own community and also as a part of JBoss and Wildfly Application Servers for the better part of 6 years. This also includes integration into Red Hat's JBoss Enterprise Application Platform as far back as 2012.

That said, the code-base has changed a fair bit since it was originally donated to Apache and became Artemis. New features have been added, libraries upgraded, bugs squashed, etc., but the broker's fundamental architecture and implementation is essentially unchanged.

Justin