Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Para Probar Filtros <pa...@yahoo.es> on 2004/08/06 11:48:44 UTC

SMTPAppender suggestion

Hi,
Sorry if this suggestion is already posted here.

It is about class org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender
I think it would be a lot more useful if from the
properties file you can control behaviour in these
ways:
1.- Make it send email message not only depending on a
LoggingEvent but also on maximum buffer size
(org.apache.log4j.helpers.CyclicBuffer) reached, or on
a periodic basis (daily at hour HH:mm, weekly, etc).
 It should be configurable on a option that triggers
the sending of the email, whether max size reached,
triggering event or time past.

For implementing this options it must be defined new
options and constants to be included in the properties
file.

I think tis would be a great and useful improvement.

If somebody is working on this changes and additions
if  I can be of any help, I am ready to help, and if
there isn´t anybody I can try to add this changes.

Thanks for your great work,

Xulio Gomez

P.D. SMTP Authentication (user,password) would be
great...