Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Humberto Hernandez Torres <hh...@itweb.com.mx> on 2003/12/08 17:30:52 UTC

Fulcrum security service

Hi Eric, I took a look at the new fulcrum security service. I can tell there
has been a lot of work on it. I liked the flexibility to use several
implementations NT, memory, Hibernate, and Torque.

I tried to understand the three models and for that I built an example which
I added to the documentation. I also added some images to show the models.
My concern is that the Dynamic model is not as flexible and powerfull as the
Turbine model. I tried several ways to solve the example using the model,
but the solutions can become very complex so left the solution incomplete
waiting for some inspiration.

--
  Humberto

jaas? [was: Fulcrum security service]

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
eric,
why don't we se jaas as an interface for our security model??

if we use jaas
* we can use any jaas implementation together with turbine
* everyone using jaas can use our security implementations

martin

RE: Fulcrum security service

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Humberto,

Thanks for the input, and the images definitly help clarity!  I was hoping
that the entities used by the Dynamic model under the covers could be glued
together using the Turbine model.  To me, the key differences are:

1) Global group.  However, the Turbine group manager has the ability to look
one up, and if it doesn't exist, create it.

2) The intersection of user/group/role..  I think that could be put in just
using the TurbineModelManager.  When a grant or revoke is done, it adds the
user to the group, and adds the role to the group...  That way it should all
flow out?  If not, we should fix it.  Or remove the model, as having a
halfway there model is worse then no model!  And clarity (and patchs :-) )
you can provide are much appreciated!

Eric