Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/24 05:59:36 UTC

Nice Ajax effects on a blog

http://hasan.we4tech.com/you-wont-believe-this-but-the-arrow-operator-is-coming-to-java-7

It'd be pretty cool to create a theme for Roller that incorporates
Ajax effects for navigating dates, as well as comments.  I dig what
this guy has done.  Now that there's some inspiration, maybe I'll try
creating a Roller theme that incorporates these effects.  The question
is - do you think it's possible to use something like DWR to talk to
some backend classes that handle the PageModel and such?

Maybe it makes sense to use something like Hijax
(http://domscripting.com/blog/display/41) to apply these effects to a
current theme?  It shouldn't be too hard if the data is available from
the backend.

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: Nice Ajax effects on a blog

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/4/07, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/3/07, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > For AJAX effects, I'd rather see bloggers creating page templates that
> > > use the page model classes to generate XML or JSON for use in Dojo or
> > > Scriptalicious on the client side.
> >
> > Is there any documentation on how I might go about doing this?
>
> Not yet. What do you think would be some good examples to implement for docs?

I think there's only a few things you'd need to do:

1. Grab the contents of a single entry.
2. Grab the contents of multiple entries (for example, by date, all on
front page, etc)
3. Grab the comments for an entry.

Matt

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
On 12/27/06, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/23/06, Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> http://hasan.we4tech.com/you-wont-believe-this-but-the-arrow-operator-is-coming-to-java-7
> >
> > It'd be pretty cool to create a theme for Roller that incorporates
> > Ajax effects for navigating dates, as well as comments.  I dig what
> > this guy has done.  Now that there's some inspiration, maybe I'll try
> > creating a Roller theme that incorporates these effects.  The question
> > is - do you think it's possible to use something like DWR to talk to
> > some backend classes that handle the PageModel and such?
>
> You wouldn't want JavaScript code in the client to be calling the
> backend managers directly, but I'm not sure calling the model classes
> is the right way to go either.
>
> For AJAX effects, I'd rather see bloggers creating page templates that
> use the page model classes to generate XML or JSON for use in Dojo or
> Scriptalicious on the client side.

Is there any documentation on how I might go about doing this?

Thanks,

Matt

- Dave

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Axel <ax...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I fyou talk about AJAX effects, I personally like the comment system
used in Jack Slocums blog:
http://www.jackslocum.com/blog/2006/12/17/how-to-create-a-reusable-ajax-driven-web-dialog-a-working-example/

--
Axel Kramer