Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Henry Tiquet Leyva <he...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/11 04:23:13 UTC

Orientation page - Writer

Hello everyone,
I would like begin to modify the AOO code and I think to begin with the
page orientation (Writer).
The idea is to create a button on the toolbar for change the page
orientation with a click.

I would like to know what code manipulates the orientation page in Writer.

Regards.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 14.06.2013 01:27, Henry Tiquet Leyva wrote:
> Hello Oliver,
>
> I already saw the new sidebar function but the idea is to do one function
> (or one default style) for change the orientation of one page without
> change the orientation of all pages in a document.

Sorry for the late response.

I am willing to support you.
Unfortunately, I will concentrate my complete energy on the AOO 4.0
release in the next days. Then I will be on vacation till the end of
July. Afterwards, I hope I have some time for further and deeper support.

I assume you know the UI steps to change the orientation of a single
page. Possible steps are:
- create a new page style with the same attributes as the current one,
but with changed orientation and with following page style set to the
current one
- insert a page break at the first paragraph of the page with applying
the newly created page style

Try to figure out how you can implement such UI steps.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Henry Tiquet Leyva <he...@gmail.com>.
Hello Oliver,

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Henry Tiquet Leyva <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 6/11/13, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/6/11 Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
>
>> I found odd that you can select a paragraph or sentence and apply a
>> specific style, but you cant select a page and apply a specific style,
>> is there a way that this can be done?
>>

> No. Writer is not a DPT program like Scribus (page layout based), but use
> the paradigm of content flow where pages are just a "content containment".
> Pages are not "objects" by itself so you cannot select them: it is possible
> to classify them with page styles, and group them with page breaks, but
> nothing else. Note that this behaviour is not either wrong nor right, it's
> just a different way of thinking documents. Writer is best suited when
> automated formatting (text books with lots of headings, for example) is
> possible, Scribus is best suited when direct control (magazines,
> photography books...) of layout elements is a must. For each need, a tool
> ;)

Draw uses the same paradigm. However you get a message if you want to
apply it to the rest of the 'slides/pages'.

I wouldn't think is too wrong to apply the reverse. Like a dialog
saying if you want to apply it to only the current page.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 11.06.2013 11:00, RGB ES wrote:
> 2013/6/11 Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>
>
>> I found odd that you can select a paragraph or sentence and apply a
>> specific style, but you cant select a page and apply a specific style,
>> is there a way that this can be done?
>>

> No. Writer is not a DPT program like Scribus (page layout based), but use
> the paradigm of content flow where pages are just a "content containment".
> Pages are not "objects" by itself so you cannot select them: it is possible
> to classify them with page styles, and group them with page breaks, but
> nothing else. Note that this behaviour is not either wrong nor right, it's
> just a different way of thinking documents. Writer is best suited when
> automated formatting (text books with lots of headings, for example) is
> possible, Scribus is best suited when direct control (magazines,
> photography books...) of layout elements is a must. For each need, a tool ;)

+1 - I strongly agree.

Thanks for this really good explanation.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Re: Orientation page - Writer

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:23:13 -0500
Henry Tiquet Leyva <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I would like begin to modify the AOO code and I think to begin with the
> page orientation (Writer).
> The idea is to create a button on the toolbar for change the page
> orientation with a click.
>
> I would like to know what code manipulates the orientation page in Writer.

There is an earlier extension to do this at
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/Alba
but I understand it has been rendered inoperable by later code changes in OpenOffice.

Its code may give you some useful hints.

How do  you propose to cope with the style changes such an orientation change will involve?

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>