Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by María Cruz <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/12 19:40:20 UTC

Google's support framework for community-led meetups

Hi everyone,

I have been working closely with Gris Cuevas to develop a framework to
increase transparency on how Google Open Source supports community-led
events.  Below you will find a table that identifies different event goals,
community roles, and the type of support Google Open Source can offer in
each case.

If you would like to request support from Google for your meetup, please
follow the meetup support request process
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mT5RVdyo_g19O-6LFtXb0H2Z5OXZ9_BLtDIho4Q3b7I/edit#heading=h.b44lcgnpxffu>.
Can someone help me put this information, along with the support framework
below, under the Community tab [1] of the Apache Beam website?

We look forward to continuing partnering with our community organizers to
help Beam grow even more! If you have any questions, please let me know.
Support frameworkCommunity Roles

   -

   Project contributor AND community amplifier:
   -

      Contributes code, documentation, project management, etc, to the
      project
      -

      Organizes meetups
      -

      Engages other contributors in becoming organizers
      -

   Project contributor
   -

      Contributes code, documentation, project management, etc, to the
      project
      -

      Organizes meetups
      -

   Company that wants to co-sponsor a meetup
   -

      A company that is an independent entity from Google that expressed
      interest in co-sponsoring a meetup

Framework

Community Goal

Community Role Requesting Support

Support Google Open Source can provide

Raise awareness about project / increase reach of project / maximize
exposure

E.g. Launch a new Meetup series in a new city.

Project contributor AND amplifier

   -

   Up to USD 3,000 a year in swag
   -

   Content
   -

   Speakers

Project contributor

   -

   Up to USD 1,500 a year in swag
   -

   Help to find a meetup sponsor
   -

   Content

A company that wants to co-sponsor a meetup

   -

   Connect to local community members to organize meetup
   -

   Content

Grow project adoption

E.g. create awareness of a new release and help people adopt it.

Project contributor AND amplifier

   -

   Add to leadership network
   -

   Support in finding sponsors

Project contributor

A company that wants to co-sponsor a meetup

   -

   Partner to present use case
   -

   Connect to community member in low-adoption region / city

Grow project contributions

E.g. run a hackathon to contribute to Beam website localization.

Project contributor AND amplifier

   -

   Develop workshop content
   -

   Swag or GCP credits for top contributors

Project contributor

   -

   Develop workshop content

A company that wants to co-sponsor a meetup

   -

   Develop workshop content
   -

   Connect to expert to deliver workshop

Expand professional network for project / Connect project features to other
projects

E.g. Working session at a conference

Project contributor AND amplifier

   -

   Connect to related meetups
   -

   Create a list of potential presenters from other companies

Project contributor

   -

   Connect to related meetups

A company that wants to co-sponsor a meetup

   -

   Connect to local expert for presentations

 --

María

[1] https://beam.apache.org/community/

Re: Google's support framework for community-led meetups

Posted by María Cruz <ma...@gmail.com>.
HI Austin,
thank you for offering support. I'll follow up with you privately for that.
Answering your questions in line.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 5:14 PM Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Maria,
>
> This might be useful in user@ as well?
>
> Happy to walk you through editing webpage submitting a PR.  Then up to
> appropriate committer as to whether to approve.  Write me off list and we
> can find time.  A less focused walkthrough (including way more than you
> need just for that, in case wanting to get an independent start):
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtPslSdAPcM (will reoffer a more polished
> version at next summit).
>
> Some questions for clarity:
> * What is an Amplifier and how distinguished from contributor?

The definitions are in the email. There are 2 criteria for contributor, and
there are 3 criteria for contributor and amplifier. The one extra is about
engaging other contributors in becoming community organizers, for example,
by starting a new meetup group.

> * Do you have some examples of how Google Open Source contributing
> content?  Is that different than what Google does and it's engineers?  Or
> that's just the branding of it?

I'm not sure what you refer to with what Google does now (I am aware of
different current and past attempts, but not sure which one you are
referring to. If you gave an example, I could answer more specifically).
What it means is that we will work with engineering teams to distribute
latest updates on features, and create new content requested, for example,
for educational purposes.

I don't know what you mean by "the branding of it". We are intending to
formalize all kinds of support that are currently ongoing for meetups, some
of these things may already be happening for different events; the
intention of this process is to centralize request and offer transparency
about the type of support that is available.

> * When talking about company and/or Google Open Source sponsorships, are
> we talking about Money (ex: Meetup sometimes solicits to broker companies
> to pay for an advertising slot in a venue when can gather bodies in a room
> -- same as conference sponsorships)?  Or other/open?

Are you asking about Meetup.com fees? I don't fully understand this example.

Financial support for meetups is available now only for catering services
and swag.
This process IS NOT for conference sponsorship.

Posted by Austin Bennett <wh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Maria,