Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/16 22:35:09 UTC

Resource limits with Hadoop and JVM

We recently experienced a couple of situations that brought one or more
Hadoop nodes down (unresponsive).   One was related to a bug in a
utility we use (ffmpeg) that was resolved by compiling a new version.
The next, today, occurred after attempting to join a new node to the
cluster.

A basic start of the (local) tasktracker and datanode did not work -- so
based on reference, I issued: hadoop mradmin -refreshNodes, which was to
be followed by hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes.    The load average
literally jumped to 60 and the master (which also runs a slave) became
unresponsive.

Seems to me that this should never happen.   But, looking around, I saw
an article from Spotify which mentioned the need to set certain resource
limits on the JVM as well as in the system itself (limits.conf, we run
RHEL).    I (and we) are fairly new to Hadoop, so some of these issues
are very new.

I wonder if some of the experts here might be able to comment on this
issue - perhaps point out settings and other measures we can take to
prevent this sort of incident in the future.

Our setup is not complicated.   Have 3 hadoop nodes, the first is also a
master and a slave (has more resources, too).   The underlying system we
do is split up tasks to ffmpeg  (which is another issue as it tends to
eat resources, but so far with a recompile, we are good).   We have two
more hardware nodes to add shortly.

Thanks!

Re: Resource limits with Hadoop and JVM

Posted by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I mentioned below we're running RHEL.

In this case, when I went to add the node, I ran "hadoop mradmin
-refreshNodes" (as user hadoop) and the master node went completely nuts
- the system load jumped to 60 ("top" was frozen on the console) and
required a hard reboot.

Whether or not the slave node I added had errors in the *.xml, this
should never happen.  At least, I would like it if it never happened
again ;-)

We're running:

java version "1.6.0_39"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.14-b01, mixed mode)

Hadoop v1.0.1

Perhaps we ran into a bug?   I know we need to upgrade, but we're being
very cautious about changes to the production environment.  If it works,
don't fix it type of approach.

Thanks,

Forrest

Posted by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@gmail.com>.
I wanted to elaborate on what happened.

A hadoop slave was added to a live cluster.   Turns out, I think the
mapred-site.xml was not configured with the correct master host.  But
alas, in any case when the commands were run:

  * |$ hadoop mradmin -refreshNodes|
  * |$ hadoop dfsadmin -refreshNodes|

The master went completely berserk, up to a system load of 60 where it
froze.

This should never, ever happen -- no matter what the issue.   So what
I'm trying to understand is how to prevent this while allowing
hadoop/java to run about its business.

We are using an older version of Hadoop (1.0.1) so maybe we hit a bug, I
can't really tell.

I read an article about Spotify experiencing issues like this and some
of their approaches, but it's not clear which is which here (I'm a newbie).

Thanks.

Posted by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Forrest Aldrich <fo...@gmail.com>.