Posted to dev@aurora.apache.org by Jing Chen <ji...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/16 17:09:11 UTC

Newbie questions

Hi guys,
I am new to the community, can anyone answer following two questions for me:
1. for code contribution, I have never used rbt before, should I fork the
source code from the main branch or just work on the branch I clone by git?
2. Are all code merge done by committers? Should I ask for a pull request
when my changes are viewed and approved?

Thank you.

Regards
Jing

Re: Newbie questions

Posted by John Sirois <js...@apache.org>.
Hopefully you found the contributing docs here:
http://aurora.apache.org/documentation/latest/contributing/

I just reviewed them and they should do you fine, but to answer your
questions:

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Jing Chen <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am new to the community, can anyone answer following two questions for
> me:
> 1. for code contribution, I have never used rbt before, should I fork the
> source code from the main branch or just work on the branch I clone by git?

Yes, I do it this way for my own contributions.

> 2. Are all code merge done by committers? Should I ask for a pull request
> when my changes are viewed and approved?

The merges are done by committers, although they are not merges, they are
patches of a single final commit generated from the complete series of
diffs posted to Review Board.  The docs linked above have some explanation
of how this is done by committers using `./rbt patch`.

In short, the review and commit process both exclusively use Review Board,
no github technology comes into play even if you happen to be working off a
github fork.