Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1996/01/07 05:05:37 UTC

MD5

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> And, on another note... last week, I started looked into adding MD5 digest
> authentication to Apache, as per the current Internet Draft. (If anyone's
> working on this already, please speak up now and I'll stop looking).
> However, the current auth code is decidedly not designed for use with
> multiple authentication types. One would have to write a mod_md5_auth and
> a mod_md5_auth_dbm and so forth and again for each additional auth type we
> want to support. So obviously we need a better way. Anyone have any
> thoughts on how this should be done? (the actual MD5 part seems easy, this
> would be the hard part).

Well, you mean one would have to write a separate module for each
(authenticationtype,passworddatabase) pair.  This actually isn't true -
mod_auth and mod_dbm_auth *could* be combined, since they use different
configuration options.  At least, I've never had a problem compiling with
both turned on.  So, you could do a mod_auth_md5 and have config options
for using either DBM files, flat files, or even mSQL in the same module.

Or am I missing something?

	Brian

Re: MD5

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Sat, 6 Jan 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> No, you're not missing anything. My point was that the auth modules are
> authentication-type-dependent. It'd be nice if one could write a module
> that did authentication without having to worry about authentication type
> - that should all be built into Apache, and the modules should have some
> generic functions to call that will work with any authentication scheme,
> so we don't need different versions of the modules for each type. This is
> especially important if we want to support some kind of security
> negotiation in the future.
>
> Doesn't that make sense?

Well, no.  MD5 authentication is not just a "better way of sending passwords"
- at least my understanding is that there are differences in the way names
are managed.  What I guess you're suggesting is there there be an API between
the machinery that handles the authentication-HTTP, and the machinery that
looks up or stores a password.  Sorta like ODBC, a way of describing
operations on a database which isn't database-dependent.  So then you could
write your MD5 module and it would automagically work with msql.

Yeah, that would be nice.

	Brian

Re: MD5

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.