Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Mark A. Keenan" <ke...@p2sol.com> on 2006/09/10 14:01:21 UTC

A simple build script question

Hello,

I am having a small issue in writing a build script and I'm hoping
someone can help me find a solution.

The project is structured roughly like this:

/project/src

/project/doc

/project/script

/project/lib

What I want to do is:

1) Checkout only the script folder

2) From the script folder, run NANT which performs the build

      a) checkout the other folders

      b) create artifacts (binaries, etc)

      c) checkin artifacts

      d) tag release

I have step two working, it's the first one that I'm struggling with. If
I do this:

      svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk/script c:\project\script

Then I get an error during the build that the 'script' folder already
exists:

      svn: Failed to add directory 'script': object of the same name
already exists

OK, I understand the reason behind that, but if instead I do this:

      svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk c:\project -N

      svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk/script c:\project\script

Then during the "checkout" stage of the build process nothing happens.
This is due to the well known behavior of the -N option.

I assume that I'm missing the obvious solution.  What are others doing
in this situation?

Re: A simple build script question

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
Quoting "Mark A. Keenan" <ke...@p2sol.com>:

> I am having a small issue in writing a build script and I'm hoping
> someone can help me find a solution.
> The project is structured roughly like this:
> /project/src
> /project/doc
> /project/script
> /project/lib
> 1) Checkout only the script folder
>      svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk/script c:\project\script
> Then I get an error during the build that the 'script' folder already
> exists:

I've never seen that when attepting to co ontop of an existing working copy.

>      svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk c:\project -N
> Then during the "checkout" stage of the build process nothing happens.
> This is due to the well known behavior of the -N option.
>
> I assume that I'm missing the obvious solution.  What are others doing
> in this situation?

My script does what I think you already do. If I just wanted to check
out the doc directory I would run:

svn co svn://d43706v6/Proj1/trunk/doc C:\tmp\doc.

Re: A simple build script question

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 10, 2006, at 16:01, Mark A. Keenan wrote:

>       svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk c:\project -N
>
>       svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk/script c:\project\script

I think you want:

svn co svn://machine:port/project/trunk c:\project -N
cd c:\project
svn up script