Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/09/04 13:20:25 UTC

[lefo] sending svn commit emails to both lists

David Crossley wrote:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote to forrest-dev:
> >
> > Why not a new incubator project or a new list?
> >
> > The reality is tha infra folks are very busy. The ASF is very fast growing
> > and now they have to manage more servers and hundreds of committers.
> > Unfortunately, that means a request to infra takes long time now. We know
> > history: months waiting.
>
> Not necessarily, a request to establish a new mailing
> list should be pretty easy. If that is what both PMCs
> want then one of us can ask apmail for it. But it must
> Cc both PMCs and ask for the correct thing or yes
> there will be delays.
>
> Actually now we seem to be getting to the main issue.
> Thanks for the SoC Antonio.
>
> What we actually need is not shared SVN (that is just
> a minor convenience). What we need is shared communication.
> This common mailing list idea is excellent.

Thanks to Thorsten for starting that process.
I was going to do it, but i am so glad that you
beat me to it and that other people are starting
to help with infrastructure.

> Another thing that can help is that the Subversion
> mailer can send mails for a specific part of the
> repository to a mailing list. So we could get common
> svn commit emails too.

I investigated this. With the current Subversion
we can configure a certain portion of the repository
to send to only one mailing list.

Google found that someone recently contributed a
patch to enable sending to multiple lists. So when
someone upgrades Subversion we will be able to do so.
I suppose we just wait, because it is not urgent.

So when we define a part of either Forrest or Lenya
svn that needs to go to both of our commit@ lists.

-David

Re: [lefo] sending svn commit emails to both lists

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:

>>Another thing that can help is that the Subversion
>>mailer can send mails for a specific part of the
>>repository to a mailing list. So we could get common
>>svn commit emails too.
>

> I investigated this. With the current Subversion
> we can configure a certain portion of the repository
> to send to only one mailing list.
>
> Google found that someone recently contributed a
> patch to enable sending to multiple lists. So when
> someone upgrades Subversion we will be able to do so.
> I suppose we just wait, because it is not urgent.
>
> So when we define a part of either Forrest or Lenya
> svn that needs to go to both of our commit@ lists.

In the meantime someone (me) can put a prockmail rule in place to
forward the commit to the other list. I'll do this when the module has
been created.

Ross

Re: [lefo] sending svn commit emails to both lists

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.